𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍. Fight To Death

Distant roars echoed cutting through the silent air, and an air of ominous aura settled in as a mechanical sound arose. Claire stood in front of the gate of the paddock 9 all by herself, the bleak moonlight being the only source of light, as the flare in her grip had minimal effect. As the lifting gate revealed nothing but the lingering darkness inside, a shiver ran down her spine, which might or not have anything to do with the cold draft brushing against her skin and hair.

There was a brief second before the ground gave a mild shake, then another

There was a brief second before the ground gave a mild shake, then another. And another. By the raised gates of the paddock, her eyes fell upon the towering silhouette tearing out of the blackness making her knees wobbly. Slowly, very slowly she took a few steps back as it stepped out of the paddock to the open ground. The moonlight struck upon to outline its figure— quite as huge as the Indominus itself, but very unlike the white hybrid they had designed in the lab; it was darker in shade, and without the pointy spikes on its back, and its smaller eyes on top of the big head were solely fixed upon the burning flare still held in her hand.

The veteran dinosaur of the park, the one and only Tyrannical Rex, or T-rex, as they called it in short.

* * * * *

Inside of the shop where Owen had taken refuge, he found Zach and Gray huddled in a corner in the dark, both of whom looked alarmed, but no sign of Claire.

None of them talked at first. The brothers seemed restless, stealing looks at him and at the opening through which he entered, as if expecting someone, or something, before exchanging glances between themselves.

"W-Wait, where's.... Kate?" hesitantly asked Gray, his eyes wide in fear.

Kate came to under the star-less night sky. But unlike the quietude of the stars and windless night, triumphant roars of the Indominus Rex was still raging on. It could not have been long she was out. Her whole body was giving a numb ache, supposedly from the impact, and her limbs felt frail. Then there was this. A warm and wet sensation on her temple. Subconsciously she touched it and found her fingertips tinged with red. Blood.

When the splinters and shards with sharp edges all over the ground came to her notice, and one too close to stab her side, she jerked back. But as soon as she did, an agonising pang shot up her torso and a cry escaped her. With her hand she tried to contain the pain on her wound as a tear now slipped, and she let out a groan. The pain was searing and tearing up inside her, crippling her mind with agony and fear.

She told herself she would not look, yet she pulled her shaky hand to her eyes, her body now shivering with the pain. And a sight of that hand made her insides curl, now that whole of her palm was soaked in blood. She was not good with sightings of blood to begin with, and recalling one of their earlier paddock staff to have died from profuse bleeding did not make it easier.