𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

"So, any plans to visit around Wisconsin, or Michigan, any time soon?"

"Hmmm, I don't know.." mumbled Kate, "Owen does all that planning, I'm just going with the flow."

Zach scratched at his nape, taking a moment before speaking his mind. "Do you... do you still remember the promise?

"Oh...which one?"

"You know, the one where you said you'd like— and I'm quoting— 'to treat me and Gray to something nice' ?"

She averted her eyes to the road ahead, while trying to sound as baffled as possible. "Oh, did I now?"

"You really don't remember?"

She could not help laughing, noticing the hint of a whine in his tone. At this point, Zach did catch on that she was playing him, and rolled his eyes.

Kate currently was on a video call with Zach. She was out for a casual morning jog when her phone rang. And so here she was, conversing with him as she carried on with her jog, while Zach was in the school auditorium with his back hunched, hiding behind the seats in order to not get caught. His school apparently had some event today which required all of the students to attend, he had explained; but the general school rules still applied and so, technically he was not allowed to use cellphones in the auditorium. But it was Zach Mitchell and honestly Kate did not expect any less from him.

"So? Would you still like to do that? You know, meeting up... Whether or not the treat is still involved."

"Sure, why not? I'll just have to convince Owen to visit your hometown."

"Great! I can also show you what's good around here if you guys can stay over for a couple more days..." He was speaking in hushed tone, sometimes sneaking glances around to make sure he remained unnoticed. "You know, there's also a funfair going on now. About a month's long? It has all this amazing rides and games and cute little food stalls... If you can catch it, we could like... go visit there together... you know ?"

Kate smiled. "Sure, that sounds cool~ I'll talk to Owen and let you know."

"Cool..." Zach nodded, and despite all his attempts to act indifferent, she could see the hint of excitement in his eyes. "Wait till Gray hears from me, he's gonna be so thrilled."

Kate raised a brow. "And you? Won't you be thrilled, too? Or are you still the same Mr.I-don't-budge-at-all?"

Zach could not help but laugh although he went full defensive. "Hey, that's not true!" He acted to whine, before giving a curt smile. "Yeah, I'm gonna be happy, too... You know what, there's something I've been meaning to tell you...." But soon his eyes had shifted to the side as he spoke, and his eyes widened and he looked back in an alarm.

"Yikes! I better hang up now, Ms. Palmer is coming this way and it won't do me any good if she sees me on a phone call! Bye—"

And with that, he had hung up.

A small sigh escaped her lips, as Kate continued to stare at the screen of her cellphone. "There's something I've been meaning to tell you" — those words were still lingering in her mind. What could it be that he wished to say?  She allowed herself a moment before tucking the phone in a pocket.

It was autumn. The nature looked all colourful. The fresh green leaves in trees were now in yellow and orange shades. Dried leaves gathered on the ground, on the lawns, over the dry grasses, swirling, flying with the breeze, spreading the colours everywhere.