𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘. Farewell

Sunlight beamed through the large doors and the windows of the shelter centre, and inside it bustled with the murmurs and movements of the refugees

Sunlight beamed through the large doors and the windows of the shelter centre, and inside it bustled with the murmurs and movements of the refugees. Primary medical help had been provided to the injured and wounded while the others were resting, and the staff members, those who were still doing fine, were checking things around and making sure everything was accounted for. But in their heart, all of them were waiting for the morning ferries to arrive, to take them away from this island of nightmare once and for all to the warmth and safety of their homes.

Claire was seated on the bed, absentmindedly stroking Gray's hair who seemed to be in a light slumber resting his head in her lap. Kate was wide awake, and resting, waiting for Zach to come back. He had left awhile ago to manage a wheelchair so they could take one last stroll before leaving, since she was heavily requesting for it.

They had made it to this place last night. Almost all the seats and resting beds had been occupied by the time they had reached here, and as soon as they had issued one for themselves, Zach and Gray had passed out after being reassured that Kate was going to be alright. Claire had let her youngest nephew sleep on her lap because he was still too shaken up to let go of her nearness, and it was not like she could get any sleep that night anyways. Later that night, Owen had returned with Kate after getting her wound treated and soon had left again after tucking her in.

None of them saw much of Owen afterwards; no doubt he was busy assisting the staffs around for the final preparations. Kate awoke quite early in the morning out of habit, and despite the fact she had an dull ache all over her bandaged up torso that she would rather not move, she had gotten sick of lying in bed for hours. Plus, there were a few things she herself needed to take account of. But since she could not walk around on her feet, she had taken quite a lot of time to muster up the courage to ask Zach for help.

"Earth to Kaitlyn?"

That snapped her out her reverie and when she looked, Zach had indeed managed a wheelchair just like he said he would. He tried to smile when their eyes met, "Ready for it?"

Twitters and chirps of the morning birds were gradually filling up the air as cool breezes blew in through the large open doors, brushing her hair against her face as Zach kept pushing the wheelchair down the beeline between the crowd and the beds and sitting arrangements. Thanks to Claire and Zach's assistance, Kate managed to climb into the wheelchair, but it still somewhat throbbed when she was still supposed to be under the influence of painkillers.

Neither of them talked, but the silence was not uncomfortable, either. Kate was currently focused on looking for Barry, while Zach asked about him to the staffs whenever they passed by one. It was quite concerning; the last she had seen of Barry was when the raptors had turned their back against them, and they had not received any word from him afterwards. Owen might have found him around in the meantime, but she had no way to know.