Chapter 20

Danny and I are just leaving the church after decorating the reception room for a few hours. It's dark out but not as late as it seems. It's only 7:45 and car lights pass by quickly on the street. My bike is leaned up against the building and I walk over to grab it.

Danny walks over to her car then turns back to me. "Wanna go out for dinner?" She asks opening her car door. Wheeling my bike over I think about it.

"I would love to, but I need to check with Lauren first since she is watching Ella." I say pulling out my phone. "Where were you thinking?"

"Oh I don't know... Jason's Deli?" She asks and I nod while dialing Lauren's number.

"That's a good idea." I say. Then Lauren answers.

"You better not be coming back just yet!" She yells and I jump up in surprise. Danny laughs a little.

"No I-" I start.

"Cause I haven't had enough time with Ella yet and we both know you want to stay longer with Danny!" She yells again.

"Lauren!" I say turning away from Danny to hide my blush. Danny laughs harder and I hear Lauren give a slight chuckle too.

"Did she hear that? I wanted her to. HI DANNY!!" I pull the phone away from my ear as her voice gets louder.

"Hey Lauren!" Danny yells back.

"Oh such a sweet girl." Lauren replies. "So what are you calling about?"

"Danny and I are going to dinner. I'm guessing you would like some more time with Ella." I say and I hear Lauren hum a yes. "Alright see you in a bit."I say hanging up.

"I can drive." Danny says. "We can just stop by and grab your bike on the way home."

"Are you sure? I can just ride there. It's not too far." I say but Danny shakes her head.

"Get in." Is all she says before sitting down and closing the door. I chuckle before putting my bike back and hopping in the car. The car ride is a comfortable quiet as music comes from the radio playing something Christian.

"Thank you again for helping me with everything." I say.

Danny looks over at me for a second then returns her focus to the road. "You're welcome. I would do it all again if you asked." She says.

"I know." We are quiet again then she pulls up to the restaurant.

"Welcome!" Yells a bigger lady behind the counter as we walk up and look up at the menu.

"I would like the turkey wrap with an iced lemonade." Danny says then she steps out of the way for me to order.

"I'll take the country club with a water." I say.

"Are you sure you don't want a drink?" Danny asks and I shake my head.

"I'm feeling a little dehydrated actually." I say. Then I turn back to the counter.

The lady puts in our order. "That'll be $25.35." Both Danny and I take out our credit cards to pay.

"Oh no you don't." I say trying to grab her card.

"I will pay! It's your big day tomorrow and your birthday so I'll treat you." She says but I laugh while shaking my head.

"A lady never pays. I'm paying." I say handing my card to the lady. But Danny stops my hand.

"Wait." She takes my card before I can protest and puts both behind her back mixing them up. Then she holds both out to the lady. "You pick."The lady giggles then places her hand on her chin trying to decide.