Athena's Granddaughter

When Monday rolls in, I can't help but avoid Jasper after rejecting him on Friday. Jasper didn't respond to her that night and neither of us have the guts to text each other. It feels like I'm back in square one when no one talks to me at school, now that Jasper is no longer in the picture. 

That is, until during recess, Valerie appear out of nowhere and practically drag me out into the school courtyard. It seems like she is also avoiding to talk to someone.

"I'm guessing you've heard about what happened?" she speaks, looking around us for any eavesdroppers. I want to tell her that I'm pretty sure that there will be someone listening into our conversation, but I stay silent instead. Considering we're still on school grounds, I'm pretty sure she's smart enough to not bring up the forbidden topics. 

I nod in reply. 

Valerie sighs and puts her hand into her face in stress. "Gods, I can't believe I'm a demigoddess... After all these years of accepting the fact that I'm human... it feels so surreal."

I nod in understanding. I understand why she came to me, of all people. I was the only one in this school who knows everything she's been through. Heck, we grew up together and she ranted about the prejudices against her for years. 

"How is your girlfriend taking the news?" I ask softly.

Her sigh conveys the stress she's feeling. "She doesn't know... I mean, I've been avoiding her all morning. I don't know how to tell her..." 

Speak of the devil, I spot a familiar-looking vampire stomping her way towards us with an angry look. I watch as the scene unfolds. There's no way that I'm going to be in the middle of a couple spat. 

Unfortunately, Val latches onto my arm as if she knows my train of thoughts. Her face begs for me to stay for support, which I had no choice but to obey. We may not be as close as we once were, yet the helpless look she displays reminds me of the first time we met all those years ago. 

"Why are you avoiding me?" Elise says without any warmth. It's clear that the vampire is not in the mood for games. 

Valerie nervously fiddles with her fingers. "We need... we need to talk..."

Elise frowns instantly. I catch sight of her twin brother who is also making his way towards us. 

"Great, I'm in a party," I sarcastically say, which earn me a soft smack from Valerie. 

"Before I explain everything," Valerie starts, eyeing the twins. "I need you to promise that whatever I'm going to say is a secret. That means no telling anyone. I trust you both and I know that Elise can't keep something this big from your whole family since you're pack. Please make sure your parents keep this to themselves too."

My eyes bulge out as my head whip towards my childhood friend. "Does your parents know what you're going to do?"

Val sighs softly. "My mum knows. She trusts me to make good decisions."

I stare hard at the twins. I'm worried for Valerie. Well, to be more specific, I'm worried what would happen in the future. What if Elise and Valerie don't last as long as Valerie hopes? What if Elise decides to use this information against Val once day? 

"Are you sure?" I ask her again. Valerie looks like she's in deep pain.

"Is it such a big life-or-death secret?" Eli asks curiously, taking in our serious situation. Elise shares the same confused expression as her twin.

"Yes," the both of us answer.

Elise looks thoughtful for a moment and then glares at me with a hint of jealousy. "You don't have to tell us everything, just the ones that won't be a danger to you or your family," Elise proposes with annoyance.

Valerie takes a deep breath and then show them her new demigoddess tattoo on her forearm. The twins suck in a deep breath at the sight. 

"You're a demigoddess?" Eli asks in shock.

Elise's eyebrows scrunch. "How...?"

"Yes, I am," Valerie replies as I gently squeeze her arm before releasing her. She seems to gain a little confidence from my gesture. "I thought I was human until HQ found golden blood in me..."

"Which god is your father?" Eli asks curiously. 

Both Val and I look confused at how he specifically thinks that Val's father is a god instead of being vague.

"Elise met your mum the other day," Eli adds as support.

"She seems human to me, except for the weapon getup the other day," Elise says with a nervous chuckle. 

"Val's mum is a demigoddess," I respond softly. Everyone is silent for a moment. I can practically hear the thoughts running wild in the twins' heads. No doubt that they're discussing this through their mindlink. 

The chances of Val being a demigoddess is extremely low, but not impossible. That's why Val's parents thought that Val would end up a Minotaur instead since the Minotaur genetics is dominant. 

"Athena is my grandmother," Valerie adds with caution. "And since I'm a demigoddess, I'm going to be sent to Camp Hourlodge for my education and safety."

"What?" the twins chorus in confusion once again.

"Are you in danger?" Elise demands in anger, clenching her fists. 

"No, no! It's more of tradition and a way to engage with other people in my situation... except that I'll probably be the only grandchild of a god who has heightened strength. Demigods tend to be sought out by HQ, but they don't dare to come after those who are already trained or are in the safety of Camp Hourlodge..." Valerie mumbles.

I look at her also in shock, previously not knowing that she's as much in danger than I am. 

The four of us fall silent until the school bell rings. I see students heading towards class through the window.

"We need to talk more after school," Elise speaks, staring at her girlfriend. 

Eli and I walk side by side to class as the couple heads towards different directions. 

"So..." Eli says in amusement. "Since your best friend is a demigoddess, do you also have a secret identity?"

My heart beats hard in shock, but I instantly hide my expression. I tap my human tattoo.

"Sorry to disappoint, but I'm just a plain old human."

Eli drops the conversation and starts to talk about how cool it is that Val is a demigoddess while I tune him out. I can't wait for school to be over so I can take a break from all this drama.