Mumford & Sons

I've discovered a lot about Jasper after hanging out with him for days. 

He is most definitely human, since swim categories differ based on beings. It'll totally be unfair if he has to compete with vampires who are obviously stronger and faster than him. Jasper doesn't talk much about his family, which is a relief to me since my family is kind of complicated to understand and I don't feel like lying. 

"There's swim practice after school today. If you're interested to see how it works, you're welcome to come and watch," Jasper suggests as we walk down the school hallway in the morning. Things seem to be normal in school so I don't have to keep my guard up too high today.

"Thanks, but not today. I've got a tutoring session."

Jasper looks at me in surprise. "You need a tutor?"

"No, no," I quickly clarify. "Some girl really need my help to pass algebra, and she's really really terrible at it."

Jasper frowns. "Is it the girl you've been hanging around... Parker?"

"Polly," I correct him, reaching my locker. 

"Polly... the girl with orange hair? Who looks sick all the time? She needs tutoring?"

I frown back at Jasper. "She doesn't look sick to me all the time, but yeah."

"Huh.."

"What is it?" I ask in curiosity. Jasper isn't the type to gossip about other people. He said it's better to not judge people until you actually meet them, which is why he doesn't really make a lot of friends. He prefers to be on his own, until I come along and challenge his stance on certain views.

"She's in my algebra class, and she doesn't seem to be having much trouble. Maybe I'm just judging based on what I see. Assumption makes an ass out of you and me anyway," he tells me. "See you at lunch then?"

"Sure."

We part ways to get to our own classes since we don't have any classes together. In one of the classes, Valerie - my old friend - made a surprising decision to sit next to me rather than next to her vampire girlfriend. I cast a surprise look at her while I settle down on my usual place. 

"Are you and Elise fighting or something?" I ask her bitterly. 

"No... I just want to check up on you... I didn't realise how long we haven't talked and now with the Identification Test thing and all..." Valerie guiltily answers softly as the teacher starts to teach. 

"Just peachy."

Val sighs at my professional tone. "Mum told me about the Siren hunter," she whispers. 

I give her a glare and nod at our classroom, indicating that there are too many ears who can eavesdrop. 

"We'll talk later. You free after school?" she asks.

I shrug as if I don't care. I'm kinda angry at her for forgetting my existence after she's in her first relationship. 

"I've got plans."

Valerie looks dejected while I catches a hot glare from Elise who is sitting at the back of the classroom. If the vampire dares to confront me for upsetting her girlfriend, I'll drown her. Valerie can fight her own battles without her partner's interference. 

The next hour or so is dull as I pretend to pay attention to the lesson conducted in class. Lunch cannot come sooner so I can be alone and away from the awkwardness with Valerie. If she's trying to mend our broken friendship, I have to give her credit for trying. At least she's realizing this now rather than much much later in the future.

"Mumford & Sons released a new album!" Jasper excitedly tells me when I join him in the cafeteria. 

"They released it weeks ago, J," I inform him.

He let out a dramatic gasp. "Shhh, I know I'm behind the current affairs of the world."

I munch into my sandwich as he continues to listen to the new songs on Spotify. We have alone time for a few minutes until Valerie come by and asks if she may join us. Jasper raises an eyebrow at me, surprised that I talk to people besides him and Polly.

"I don't think we have introduced yet... I'm Valerie," Val says politely.

"Jasper," he replies curtly, unsure how to react.

"You're new, right? How did you two meet?" Val asks, genuinely curious that I manage to make a new friend. 

"Why are you here, Valerie?" I sigh in annoyance. "Just ask what you want and then leave."

Val's face drop in sadness. Jasper looks even more surprised at my hostility. 

"Is there a problem here?" Elise appears out of nowhere, red eyes watching my every move. 

I notice Jasper instantly keep a very close eye on the vampire. His body tenses as if he's ready to get physical if things go bad. I make a mental note to ask him about it.

"No problem here, Elise love. Just wondering if Mel is free later for a little chat?" she directs the last question at me.

I let out another sigh. She's persistent to talk privately to me and she's never gonna let me off the hook. Might as well meet her and get whatever she wants over with.

"Tomorrow after school. My place," I compromise, giving a look at Elise. She may have saved my life before, but I don't want her to know what I am. God help me if Val spills all beans about me to her girlfriend, I'm going to kill her.

Jasper's body is still tense until the two leave our table. I continue to munch on my sandwich as Jasper collects his thoughts on what just happened. 

"Complicated friendship?" he offers.

I smile. "We can go with that. Uncomfortable around vampires?"

Jasper's mood immediately fall. There is a slight angry aura radiating from him. "Yeah... Actually, just not feeling comfortable around anyone that's not human."

"I totally understand." I think back of the first few days of school and my paranoia about anyone figuring out my true identity. It is really easy for me to disguise as a human for the last few months since I was raised as one. 

Funny how he doesn't even realize that he's comfortable around me - someone who is not human. The only thing I can do is to ensure that there is a safe distance so he doesn't know what I am and we can continue to be friends.

I stare at Jasper as he continues to listen to Mumford & Sons.  Jasper makes me realize that there is hope for me. Hope to maintain friendship. Hope that I won't screw it up and bring harm upon anyone by existing. 

He treats me as an equal and we do have the same mindset on certain subjects. He is part of the reason why I've insisted on going to a public school in the first place; to live life and learn what's beyond.

All I need to do is to be aware of every step I make and live in the moment.