THIRTY ONE

"Let's go in the garden

"Let's go in the garden."

Eyes closed, all Naminé could sense as her consciousness floating aimlessly was the quiet echo of a lullaby.

"You'll find something waiting."

It was her mother's voice. One as gentle as sunlight.

"Right there where you left it, hiding underground."

Was that . . . another voice? A deep, vibrant sound sang along beneath her mother's vocals, creating an elegant duet.

"When you finally find it, you'll see how it's faded. The underside is lighter when you turn it around."

Struggling to open her eyes, it took all of the strength she could muster before her eyelashes fluttered open, the world awash with light that nearly made her close them shut again. But not before she noticed the two figures standing against the light.

"Everything stays, right where you left it."

Their outlines suggested it was a woman and man standing before her, their appearances shadowed over from the light blaring behind them. But Naminé could see how the man's hands rested lovingly on her what she assumed was her mother's shoulders, her mother leaning back into his touch.

Who was this?

"Everything stays, but it still changes. Ever so slightly, daily and nightly."

Blinking back against the light, it seemed as if their figures were coming closer now.

"In little ways . ."

Instantly, she recognized her mother's kind, soft eyes. They reminded her of the first rays of light because of their golden hue. But it was the second pair of eyes that her gaze gravitated towards.

To a set of eyes that resembled wisteria in spring.

" . . when everything stays."

✾ ❃ ✾

"How long are you going to sleep?! GET UP ALREADY!"

Tanjiro's head snatched up, the movement sending a jolt of pain through his tired muscles. But he couldn't fully focus on that with the sight right before him.

"The Pillars are now present!"

Pillars? He thought to himself, staring back and forth between the strange faces of those gazing down at his pathetic state. What are Pillars? What the heck? Who are these people? Where am I?

As if reading his mind, the butterfly woman answered, "This is the Headquarters of the Demon Slayers. You are on trial right now, Kamado Tanjiro."