TWENTY ONE

"KAAAWW! REST! REST!"

"REST UNTIL YOUR WOUNDS ARE FULLY HEALED!"

Both Koharu and Tanjiro's crow came screaming from above, both landing in the slayer's outstretched hands while Naminé slinked down from his back, her eyes glued to the wisteria family crest built onto the gate separating them from the estate.

It so resembled the crest stamped onto the walls of her childhood home, reminding her all too much of the days she and her mother would spend tending to demon slayers' wounds and making sure they were well-rested before embarking on their journeys. Being so young, she never realized the gravity of what she had been doing alongside her mother--or how it would inevitably prepare her for her own path as a slayer.

"We can rest? You know I fought a demon while injured . . ." Tanjiro muttered to the crows.

"Kekeke," both birds chorused.

"Kekeke?"

Fingers slipping up to the locket resting on her neck, Naminé didn't care how much it hurt to walk to the doorway, her hand resting upon the crest. The sight of it only tired her already weary heart.

She moved back slightly when she heard quiet footsteps approaching from the other side, the door opening to reveal a tiny, elderly woman. One that reminded her so much of Master Himawari that she almost did a double-take to make certain it wasn't her. There was a kind smile on her wrinkled face as she bowed to them all.

"I'm sorry to interrupt you, ma'am," Naminé started, bowing in greeting. "My friends and I would appreciate your assistance."

"Sorry to disturb you so late into the night," Tanjiro said while trying to calm a panicking Zenitsu who looked to the woman in horror.

"A monster! It's a monster!"

It didn't help when Inosuke walked forward, poking his finger into the woman's gray hair bun. "You look weak."

"Knock it off!" Naminé reprimanded, yanking Inosuke's hand back before apologizing to the woman, ignoring the enraged screech coming from the boar man. "If you'll let us, could we rest here?"

"Of course. You are demon slayers. Please come in."

As they wandered into the estate, she felt a hand slip onto her back, glancing to see that it was Tanjiro standing next to her, a softness in his eyes as he met her stare. "Just grab onto my arm if you need help walking, okay?"

She smiled, appreciating that he was taking into consideration that she might want to no longer lean on him for support, though no less grateful that he was willing to offer aid.