EIGHT

"Only one demon in this world has blood that can turn humans into demons

"Only one demon in this world has blood that can turn humans into demons."

Urokodaki's words seemed to still the slayer next to Naminé, the three enjoying their last tea together before the blacksmith would surely come to deliver their nichirin blades the following morning, meaning that both she and Tanjiro would set out for their first mission soon enough.

"The one who became the first demon over a thousand years ago."

"You think . . . " Naminé started, fingers laced around her cup, unable to stand the anguish on Tanjiro's face. " . . that it is that demon that did this to Nezuko?"

Tanjiro's grip on his pants was so tense that his knuckles turned white.

"I do. And I think he knows a way to return your sister's humanity, Tanjiro. The demon's name is . . ."

Muzan Kibutsuji.

"Water Breathing, Eighth Form!"

Perhaps these demons would bring them one step closer to the original demon.

Blade raised in the air, Naminé avoided the onslaught of slashes from the three demons beneath them as Tanjiro brought down his sword upon their pool.

"Waterfall Basin!!"

An onslaught of water erupted from the tip of Tanjiro's blade, but due to her close presence, it wasn't as precise as he might have liked, the attack completely missing any of the demons vital areas.

But their jumps landed them on opposite sides of the swampy pool, Tanjiro now closer to Kazumi while Naminé remained alone on the other side. Noticing the troubled expression Tanjiro carried, she knew he was plotting something on how to approach the situation. But she knew that he wouldn't be able to think as clearly or attack at full force while Kazumi and the girl were in threat of danger.

Something needed to be done. Even if it wasn't something she wished to advise, it was their best chance to win . . .

"Tanjiro!" she called out, his eyes snapping up. "We need Nezuko to take those two away from here! They aren't safe if there's three for us to go against. Let her take them somewhere else!"

Tanjiro looked like he might argue, but no matter how human she behaved, the fact was that Nezuko is a regenerative demon. If anyone could take a few hits and deliver her own dangerous ones, it was his younger sister.

As if to prove her point, a demon appeared from the earth just behind Kazumi, lunging for the girl in his arms just as another appeared beside Naminé. She could see Tanjiro beginning his movements for one of his forms just as she dodged the demon's assault on her side of the pond.