THREE

It was like something out of a nightmare

A monstrous demon dragged its massive form across the earth, its body hidden by thick, veiny arms--too many for Naminé to count. One of which was clutching the neck of a dead test participant, blood seeping from the young man's mouth as the demon gleefully giggled following after the swordman it was chasing.

It was too late to stop it when the demon raised the boy above its mouth and promptly ate him whole.

Naminé clapped a hand over her mouth to keep from gasping. Painful . . . what that boy had gone through must have been so painful. After the demon's tongue lapped up the remaining blood on its lips, a new powerful arm erupted from its side just in time to reach the screaming participant.

We can't just stand here! she thought while unsheathing her blade, hearing Tanjiro call after her as she raced towards the demon, thankful to hear his footsteps following after her. That boy will die if we don't do anything!

The demon only had time to glance over as she took a running leap.

"Breath of Wisteria! Second Form: Strike of Blooming Vine!"

With one clean cut, the demon's arm was cut in two.

Tumbling to the ground, Tanjiro was able to help the participant to his feet, the coward needing only one glance at the demon to cower behind her companion. But what Naminé was focused on was that fact that it seemed like her wisteria hardly did anything to the beast at all even though she could hear where the flesh hissed from her onslaught.

How strong was this demon?

A shrill giggle escaped the demon, the sound something like nails against rock. "Another of my dear foxes has come!"

Foxes?

That was when she noticed Tanjiro's warding mask again.

"Tell me, Fox Boy, right now what Meiji Emporer sits upon the throne?"

Tanjiro was hesitant to respond while tightening the grip on his sword. "The imperial family is Taisho!"

Naminé could almost feel the infuriated shiver that ran through the demon before its head drew back and it bellowed out, "GYAAAAAHHH! I'VE BEEN HERE SO LONG . . THAT DYNASTIES HAVE RISEN AND FALLEN!! AGAIN AND AGAIN ALL WHILE I'VE BEEN TRAPPED HERE!"

Naminé took the opportunity to run to Tanjiro's side while the creature continued its rampage.

"DAMN UROKODAKI! DAMN UROKODAKI! DAMN HIM! DAMN UROKODAKI!"

"You--" Tanjiro started. "--know my master?"

"Oh, I KNOW him! Urokodaki was the one who CAPTURED me! I will never forget! It's been a torturous forty-seven years!!"