TWENTY

Tanjiro refused to move any further unless Naminé climbed onto his back

Tanjiro refused to move any further unless Naminé climbed onto his back. And with how horrible she was feeling, she wasn't about to argue.

Tanjiro carried her without complaint, Naminé glad--while a little guilty--to rest her chin against the slayer's shoulder as they maneuvered through the maze of hallways, listening to how he defeated the drum demon along the way.

But just as they saw the light of the exit, Tanjiro came to a stop.

"I smell blood."

They raced to the exit, the sun on their skin so warm that it almost felt like it was the first time they'd felt it in years. But there was little room to enjoy the sensation with the scene going on in front of them.

"It's the boar man!" she called out.

Frustration swelled within her as she watched the boar man kick and punch a beaten Zenitsu, the slayer's arms clutched tightly around the box that carried Nezuko. It seemed as if boar man was trying his best to reach the carrier.

"Draw your sword and fight, you coward!!"

Another punch to Zenitsu's face was all that she needed to see before removing herself from Tanjiro's back, ignoring the pain in her calf as she stomped towards the ridiculous slayer.

"BOAR!"

The bulbous boar eyes shifted over to her, the slayer's body suddenly tense when noticing her presence. "What did I tell you earlier? You're about to get roots coming out of your toes!"

Instead of cowering in fear or demanding a rematch like she predicted the brute to do, what happened next surprised her when white, fluffy spores began floating about his animal head.

With an excited war cry, the slayer raised his blades into the air, cackling with laughter.

"THE GUARDIAN OF THE FOREST COMES TO CHALLENGE ME AGAIN!"

Eh?

"Guardian . . . of the . . forest . .?"

Without much time to think, the boar man moved at an incredible speed towards her, her swords drawn back to strike. "Defeating you will bless me for another hundred years! Die by my blade, guardian!"

Everything inside her hurt when she dodged his slashes, her muscles feeling like they were tearing apart from keeping up with his speed. Sending a brutal kick towards her face, she managed to lift her arm up to block it, but the impact sent her falling to the earth.

"AHAHAHA! How the mighty fall before me! Now taste my blades, guardian--OOF!"

Before he could ever raise his blades, Tanjiro appeared suddenly and delivered a severe punch to the boar man's stomach, its brutality enough to make Naminé feel as if she got punched. There would definitely be a few ribs broken from that blow.