FIFTEEN

The first thing Naminé saw when she awoke beneath plush bed sheets was the same pair of scarlet eyes that made her heart flutter inside her dream

"Naminé!" Tanjiro cried out, his grip on her hand tightening enough to slightly hurt.

But she didn't mind.

"Tanjiro," she said with a hiss once she tried to sit up, finding her muscles resist. Instantly, his hand was on her back, helping her stay upright.

"So even with Tamayo's medicine, you're still in pain . . " he mumbled, brows scrunching together, his fingers digging into the silk of her haori. "Tell me what hurts. I can go get Tamayo--"

"No, stay." The words came out quickly, her fingers grasping the sleeve of his haori before he could get too far. "The stinging is already going away. I'm okay."

That was a lie. Every part of her body was screaming at her even with the help of Tamayo's medicine. It felt like her limbs had been stretched in every direction--which they had been by that arrow demon.

The demons. The Twelve Moons--!

"Nezuko and everyone! What happened?"

"Both demons are dead. The others are alright now. Neither of them were actual members of the Twelve Demon Moons . . . I'm glad you didn't see what happened to the temari girl. It was--" Tanjiro's face scrunched up at the memory, an anger burning behind his eyes. "It was Muzan's curse that killed her in the end. Even to those that look up to him . . . to end them like that . . "

Naminé was thankful that Tanjiro ended the description there. Whatever that curse did, she was certain it was the stuff of nightmares.

"And then I thought--" Tanjiro's hand returned to her own, his forehead resting against her knuckles. "When you fell into my arms, there was a moment where I thought that you weren't breathing. I thought that you had . . . Why did you get in the way of those arrows, Naminé?"

Seeing Tanjiro in this state was so unlike the slayer she traveled alongside for so long. There was a frustration on his face that she only ever saw in battle--not directed at her of all people. A part of her felt guilty for knowing she was the cause of it while another, stronger part grew upset. It was her duty to protect others. That was the entire purpose that she became a demon slayer. So that she was strong enough to protect the ones she cares for most. Couldn't he understand that?

"I acted logically. You were unaware of his attack and--"

"Getting yourself hurt for my sake is not logical!" Tanjiro interrupted, frustration masked with hurt when she pulled her hand away to set on her lap. "I know that you're strong, Naminé. I know that you are selfless enough to throw yourself into danger to protect someone. I know you're skilled . . . but I would rather you prove that by living. Not by throwing your life away."