Year of Sorrow 💧

In 616 AD, when the disbelievers saw that Islam was attracting more and more followers despite all their tactics, they hold a meeting to decide what steps should be taken to stop the spread of this new religion.

The tyrant leaders of Quraysh agreed to impose an economic and social boycott on Banu Hashim, so they would not sell anything to them or buy anything from them and they would not intermarry with them. They wrote this in the document which they hung up in the Kaabah so that it became the official position that was binding on all people.

This took place in the 7th year after the Prophet declared himself the Messenger of Allah. The boycott lasted for 3 years during which the Muslims suffered a great deal. They took refuge in a ravine called Shib-e-Abi Talib. The boycott was so severe that innocent children faced starvation and hunger and adults survived eating the leaves of trees. Yet the firm followers of Muhammad did not turn away from the true religion.

Here the name of Hazrat Khadija RA appears again in the story of Islam. At that time this great lady was with her husband during the siege that Prophet underwent in Makkah. She did not forsake him for an instant, constantly supporting and sacrificing all the comforts of life. Khadija RA who was raised in the lap of luxury in her father's home now faced the economic hardships with patience and courage. She did not withhold from him her love, kindness, and support.

One day, Amr ibn Hishaam-Abu Jahl one of the most active leaders of Quraysh in imposing the boycott, had a furious argument with Hakeem ibn Hizaam ibn Khuwaylid, because he found him with a servant of his, trying to smuggle food to his paternal aunt Khadijah.

Finally, the boycott against  Banu Hashim and supporters of Prophet came to an official end after three years through the efforts of Hishaam ibn Amr ibn Rabeeh along with his four companions. Al-Mutim went to the document to tear it up, and he found that the worms had eaten it, apart from the words "In Your name, O Allah." Finally, the boycott ended and Muslims were allowed to re-enter the city: but the three years of hardship had taken their toll. First of all, Prophet's uncle, Abu Talib, who was more than eighty years old died and then a few months later, on 10th Ramadan in 3 years before Hijrah to al-Madinah-al-Munawarah, in 619 CE at the age of about 65 years, the great Muslim lady Khadijah also passed away. The Prophet called that year THE YEAR OF SORROW ( Aam-ul-Huzn ) owed to the greatest woman of Islam and a caring wife Hazrat Khadijah and the brave, noble, Qurayshi Haashimi man and Prophet's trusted counselor and uncle, Hazrat Abu Talib. His uncle him at critical moments with his influence and authority and his wealthy wife gave her all generously to the cause and also provided great moral and emotional support.

 Her death was a great loss to Prophet SAW. The Prophet SAW was heartbroken at the loss of a dedicated companion who stood by him during the most difficult of his life. He personally supervised the preparations of her grave and climbed down into it to ensure it was well-prepared. He then lowered her body into the grave himself. Thus ended the life of a lady who had sacrificed her all for Islam.

Her grave was prepared at a place called Hujjoon near Mecca. She lived with the Prophet SAW for a quarter of a century. He did not marry any other woman during this time, despite the fact that polygamy was the rule at the time. When she died nothing was left of her wealth, all of it served for the propagation of Islam.

Her house was a blessed place due to his presence and the fact that the Jibril AS came often to visit him there with Quranic revelations and Sahabah (companions) visited often to partake of the hospitality of Muhammad and his wife. After the Hijrah of Prophet to Madinah, the house was occupied by the brothers of Ali. Later, Muawiyah bin Abu Sufyan RA purchased this house and built a mosque. Thus, the site of the house of Khadijah RA became a place of prayer and worship for all time. She had been used to praying two Rakaat of Salat in the morning and evenings with the Prophet SAW, even before prayers were made compulsory by Allah.