Champion's Match - Leon

Ever since they were young, Leon had a crush on Y/N. It never helped that all the adults they ever came across when they were young would coo over them and joke about them getting married when they were older, as adults usually did.

But Y/N never seemed to like him back.

Even when they were kids and were being teased about their 'budding romance,' she would crinkle her nose and say that she'd never marry Leon, and that boys were yucky.

He thought that his crush would fade with time, but it only got stronger.

She was always his closest friend, and he didn't want to ruin that by confessing that he liked her, only for her to not return his feelings and have things get awkward between them.

He especially loved when she would announce her presence by jumping on his back as a greeting.

"Hey Leon," she said, resting her chin on his shoulder. He looked over at her, seeing her E/C eyes peering at him. Their eyes met and Leon could feel the butterfree in his stomach going crazy.

"What are you doing here?" Leon asked, hoping and praying that the warmth on his cheeks wasn't visible.

"What, can't the champion's best friend come see him once in a while?" Y/N teased. "You're always so busy with champion duties, I figured I'd come out here to surprise you before the whole championship things start while you had some free time."

Y/N had never shown much interest in becoming the champion. Even when they were doing their Gym Challenge together, she had dropped out halfway through. She preferred just to explore, and already she had probably walked on every inch of any of the wild areas.

But despite that, she still enjoyed battling every once in a while, and she was a strong trainer since she was capable of finding basically every strong pokemon the Galar region had to offer, and she was given the job of being a sort of fill-in for any Gym Leaders who couldn't battle for whatever reason.

"Don't you need to be somewhere?" Leon asked.

Y/N seemed surprised. "Don't tell me you're already trying to get rid of me, Champ," she said, raising an eyebrow.

"No! Never!" Leon said, backtracking just a little too fast to seem normal to him.

Y/N hummed before detangling her legs from around his waist to hop down. He felt sad about the sudden loss of her clinging to his back, but he didn't show it.

"Nessa got back just in time to take on the Challengers, so I wasn't needed there anymore," she explained. "I figured I'd come out here for a bit before heading back out to explore a bit more."

"Are you going to come back to watch the match?" Leon asked, desperately hoping she would.

"If I can manage to find a flying taxi or get on the train before the finals start, yeah," she said. "If I can't then I'll still watch on TV. I'll be cheering for you no matter what though," she assured him.

She began walking away, and Leon followed her. He couldn't help feeling a bit disappointed at the fact that it wasn't guaranteed that she would be coming.

You could stay here... The words got stuck in his throat. He knew she would feel obligated to stay if he brought it up, but he also knew that she would be sad if she stayed in one place for too long. She would be fine if she was only staying for a few days, but it was well over a week until the matches started, and then nearly two weeks before he fought to keep his title of champion.

Instead he sighed and opened the door to the cafe for her, making a show of bowing for her. She rolled her eyes but spun around to face him so that she could curtsy to play along with him.