fifteen

It's been a week since Lena showed us the exoskeleton. I've been trying for the past 6 days to walk again and it hasn't happened yet. Since I was shot, I haven't use any of the muscles in my legs and because of that, it's making it harder for me to walk. It also doesn't help that this exoskeleton weighs 25 pounds.

            Lena has hired one of the best physical therapists she can find in National City. Brad has been coming over every day since Lena brought home the exoskeleton. He is definitely kicking my but back into shape. One thing I learned is that from not having my super strength anymore I have to work out every day to build my muscles again.

            Alex has been warry of me working out. She doesn't like that I'm moving around this much and is afraid that if I move to much the bullet in my back is going to move again. She has come to the estate a few times to watch what Brad has been doing with me and she even had him change some of the exercises because she didn't like the movements I was making.

            Lena on the other hand has been in and out of the estate. Sam has been working her hard with pressing L Corp matters. I haven't really seen much of her this week. I've only really seen her in bed and at breakfast. Lena also mentioned to me that she needs to go to a dinner party for some important business partners of hers and asked me to go as her date. I was a little surprised that she didn't want to take Sam with her to possibly make some business deals while she is there. When I questioned her about it she said that she wants me there and to have a good night out, and our second date. That's when I really agreed to go with her.

            So I have been working hard with Brad to hopefully be able to wear the exoskeleton to the dinner. Now that I have been given this chance to possibly get out of the chair, I've been doing everything I can. Even though Brad doesn't want to push me too hard I have been asking him to. I don't want to wait to walk again and I want to try.

            After the first three times of trying to walk with the skeleton Brad hasn't put it back on me. I fell under the weight of the skeleton and he doesn't want to put it back on until I can handle standing with a weighted backpack.

            The next week came and went with a lot more strength training. Brad has me wearing the weighted backpack all the time now. He has increased the weight and slowly but surely I feel myself getting stronger. Now I am able to stand fully with the full 25 pounds on my back. Tomorrow will be the day Brad will put the backpack on me to try using it again and I'm excited.

            Brad left our session a bit early today and I was fine with it. Lena came home early from L Corp and I was excited to see her home early. Today we actually had dinner together shared with large smiles and big laughs. Lena gave Mira the night off and the house was quiet.

            "How has Brad been treating you?" Lena asked as we finished our meals.

            "Good, I want him to push me harder but he doesn't want to go to hard. Tomorrow we are going to try the exoskeleton. I really think tomorrow will be the day I walk again." I answered and finished the last little bit of the wine I had in my glass.

            "Tomorrow? I have a meeting I can't get out of and I want to see it happen. Wait here." Lena said and got out of her chair almost tripping over the cat. I could help but laugh as I watched the girl I'm falling for stumbled down the hall.

            Lena returned a few moments later with the backpack in her arms. She handed it over to me and pulled me away from the table. Lena ran pushing me along as we made our way to the training room in the basement.

            "You're not going to walk tomorrow; you're going to walk tonight." Lena said and turned on all the lights. I didn't say anything as Lena got all of the equipment together.

            I put the backpack on and strapped it around my chest as Lena came over to me after she put foam mats down around the bars.

            "You ready?" She asked looking hopeful.

            "Yes" I said nervous as ever.

            "Good so you are going to need to hold yourself up as the exoskeleton expands across your back and down your legs. So whenever you're ready I'll help you up." Lena said.

            I just nodded and took a second. I didn't want to get my hopes up super high if I fall. With all of the psychical therapy sessions I've had Brad has also talked to me about the possibility that this exoskeleton wont work. I just don't want to fail in front of Lena. She still feels responsible for me getting shot and I don't want to let her down after she spent so much time and money getting me back to this point.

            So I'm never going to know if this crazy backpack works if I'm still sitting in this chair am I? With one more look into Lena's eyes I grabbed onto the bars in front of me and pushed myself up. Lena helped me get my feet under me and once I was standing Lena flipped the switch on the shoulder strap of the backpack.

            The backpack hisses to life and straightens my back to its normal position. Then two long metal rods extend from the bottom of the backpack down my legs to my feet. Once the red light turned green around the switch I looked at Lena. She gave me a small smile and nod.

            "Whenever you are ready darling." Lena said and pulled away from me. I flashed her a nervous smile and looked down at my legs. Metal rods are now wrapped around them and I didn't want to move.

            "Shift some of your weight to your legs darling, you're straining your arms." Lena said quietly.

            I took another deep breath and nodded at Lena. Okay Kara, now is your time to shine. Just like Brad taught you, slowly put some weight on your legs. You aren't going to fall. And even if you do, Lena put the mats out so it will be a soft landing. Kara breath, you've got this.

            "You've got this." I said out loud as I willed my right leg to move. Then it did. My right leg moved forward with a small step and I almost cried. Okay Kara focus, now you need to move the left. I shifted my weight again and moved my left leg forward. I did it.

            Right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left. I made it to the end of the beam. I made it to the end of the beam. I looked up at Lena and saw she has tears pooling in her eyes as do I. Now here is the real test. Slowly I loosened my grip on the bars and let go. When I had my balance I took my next step, and then another, and then I was standing right in front of Lena.

            The tears she had in her eyes fell and I pulled her into my arms. Lena did it. I'm walking again.

A/N: go Kara go!