Chapter 14 ~Social Media Famous

Chapter 14: Social Media Famous
~

The arm of the chair I braced myself on creaked as my fingers curled tighter around it. My own blood filled my mouth, a cough bringing more up and pain spiked. Titus grumbled about the mess I was making and I pinned him with the harshest look I could.

Atanas rolled his sleeves up as Padraig gripped my shoulders, keeping me from moving. The longer we waited, the more blood filled my lungs and panic would set in as I began to suffocate. I'd passed out three times on the way back to the Villa. It had been Titus that got to me first, swinging me up into his arms and darting out of the spray of bullets fired our way. The only injury that lucky bastard got was a small cut from a bullet, it had already healed.

My body shuddered and spasmed and still Atanas hesitated behind me.

"Just fucking do it already!" I choked out, gritting my teeth.

Shifting onto my side, I tried not to care that I was sat with no top on while blood poured out of the bullet hole in my back. A hole made by a bullet that missed my heart to pierce my lung and get stuck in a rib. I could almost feel it lodged there and the pain was slowly driving me mad.

Decades of horrific torture be damned for making this not even amongst the top five painful things I'd experienced. My veins were on fire, my chest burning as I tried to breathe through the blood that filled my lungs. I gripped Padraig's arm and he didn't complain if I was hurting him as my nails dug in to anchor me. Atanas placed his hand around the wound and I could feel his breath on my back.

Padraig made eye contact with him over my shoulder then looked at me, nodding sharply.

"I'd scream if I were you, it'll help," Titus advised as he poured himself a glass of wine.

I ignored him, taking as deep a breath as I could. The moment the tweezers touched ripped flesh, there was no fighting the half groan, half scream that forced its way out of me. Padraig's hands tightened painfully to keep me still as I jerked. Bile rose, scorching the back of my throat and it felt like I was falling as the world dimmed around me.

My head flopped forward, whole body going limo as the tweezers tugged and wriggled inside me. More blood came up, dropping past my lips and down my chin.

"Got it," Atanas muttered triumphantly but I couldn't match his enthusiasm.

He wiggled the tweezers and the moment the bullet dislodged itself, adrenaline flooded through me and I screamed again. "Fucking cocksucking bastards!"

Padraig snorted. Titus sighed heavily. Atanas moved quickly, pulling the bullet out and dropping it into a bowl. Making sure to make eye contact with Titus, I leaned over the chair to spit out the last of the blood from my lungs. Tight lipped, he only gave me a disgusted look.

My limbs felt heavy and I slumped over the arm of the chair, panting hard.

"She's going to need blood," Titus said, frowning at my blood covering his fancy rugs. "Half of its covering my floors."

"Fuck your floors," I hissed. Pushing myself to sit up, my head spun. "If it weren't for me, Seth would have gotten away. . .though blood would be good."

"If it weren't for you," Titus echoed my words. "We wouldn't be having to lay low right now."

I frowned. Had I missed something while going in and out of consciousness? The police hadn't caught us, we'd gotten Seth. . .and I'd forgotten all about the cameras the police were wearing. I'd used my powers. I'd been shot in the chest and kept going. Fast. Faster than should have been possible to humans.

"Your face is going to be plastered all over every news channel in the country. It won't be long before it's everyone in the world." Titus sighed and I wondered if he cared more than he let on.

Slumping back, I felt physically sick again. "Shit."

"That's putting it lightly," Padraig chuckled.

It might not be long till my face was recognised by someone working at the hotel. I should have been paying more attention. I'd been so focussed on Seth I'd forgotten all about the patrols. Of course the sounds of our fight would have been heard.

"It's not your fault, Shylah. You did what you had to. It could have been far worse. The humans will come up with some explanation for what they saw, they always do. Humans are blind when it comes to the supernatural," Atanas comforted.

I wasn't so sure. They had proof. Ways of analysing footage. But it had been dark, perhaps they didn't capture enough. I'd made such a mess of all of this. A growl had me lifting my head and Titus quickly averted his gaze. Atanas was glaring at the man. My mouth fell open when I realised what he'd been looking at and I quickly covered myself up with my arms.

"A top would be nice too," I muttered, eyeing the torn and bloody remains of the one that had to be cut off me.

"I'll find you something," Titus said, eager to escape the glare of Atanas. "I'll check that Anna has been picked up from the hotel along with all your things too."

When he left, I felt safe enough to let my arms drop only to see Padraig having a peek too. I raised an eyebrow at him and he shrugged. I was sitting covered in blood with the world threatening to implode around us and all they could do was act like randy teenage boys.

"Anna's are bigger," he stated, falling onto the chaise lounge with a grin.

I rolled my eyes. If I had more energy, I might have given him a slap over the head. Padraig knew that too and his grin became a smirk.

Just wait until I'm healed.

"I might have just revealed vampires to the world and all you men can do is stare at tits?" I grumbled.

Atanas straightened up, giving me a dashing smile. "I didn't look."

I almost groaned, rubbing my temples. Children, the lot of them.

"You see them enough already, my dear."

He looked smug at that as he stood and I was wary of his intention as he came behind the chair. His fingers replaced mine, rubbing away the beginnings of a headache. I needed to feed. Soon.

"You haven't revealed our kind, Libertas Mea. They'll put it up to a glitch in the footage," Atanas soothed, his hands falling to ease the tension in my shoulders.

I let my head fall back, allowing myself to relax for just a moment. His fingers felt so good against my skin. He definitely owed me a proper massage later.

"A glitch in the footage from almost five cameras? I don't think so." I sighed wearily. That could be left to deal with later.

So far, according to Kincaid's last text, the headlines only announced another body had been found. Deep down, I knew it was only a matter of days, if hours, before my face was indeed plastered over social media and newspapers. I couldn't hold back the groan this time.

"I was holding a bloody knife, gods above," I mumbled.

"And yet you could have been defending yourself against Seth. He was caught too. Who do you think they'll suspect more? A burly man caught attacking a woman with one dead at his feet, or a woman who was seen defending herself?" Atanas asked softly.

I didn't know the answer to that. Whether I was believed to be a victim or the attacker, the authorities would still want to track me down.

Tipping my head, I looked over at Padraig. "Where is Seth?"

"He's locked in a windowless room with guards inside and outside the door. Once Anna is safely here, we can deal with him." He didn't sound hopeful.

I remembered what Seth had said to me, that we wouldn't be able to torture answers from him. I've done my part. Those had been his exact words, hadn't they? What did that even mean?

The grumpy blond vampire I still didn't know the name of interrupted my thoughts as he came in. My irritation flared until Anna pushed in from behind him. She rushed to Padraig and he held her tight against his chest.

"I was watching the news, I saw they'd found another body," she said shakily her breath catching when her eyes flicked over me. "By the gods, what the fuck happened to you?"

"I got shot."

Her eyes practically bulged as her mouth fell open. I couldn't help but laugh at her expression. Blondie coughed for our attention and my fangs descended the second I spotted the blood bag in his hand. I didn't even care that I hated bagged blood, that the taste wasn't right, my whole body was screaming at me to take it.

Atanas snatched the bag from the younger vampire, a small snarl contorting his features. I felt a little sorry for Blondie then. He hadn't exactly done anything to warrant our dislike. Atanas was feeling overly protective now that I'd been hurt.

Deciding that we should at least be polite while in Titus' home, I managed a smile. "Thank you. Is our luggage here too?"

He nodded, keeping his gaze respectfully on my face. My smile was real now.

"I will bring them in so you can change," he said, turning on his heel.

I pointed to where Blondie disappeared and gave the two men a look. "And that, boys, is how to behave like a gentleman."

"To be fair, love, none of us ever claimed to be gentleman." Atanas smirked as he passed me the blood bag.

I rolled my eyes and settled back in my chair. I tried to stay in control, to not tear into the bag like a starving animal. The first sip made my nose scrunch at how cold it was and my stomach rolled. Unfortunately, needs must. Another sip and I almost decided otherwise but I forced myself to keep drinking. Eventually, instincts took over and I finished the rest in seconds. I felt the drip of blood rolling down my chin and eagerly licked that up too. The pain started to ease just a little but it would take more than one bag to do the trick.

Atanas subtly nodded, taking the empty bag from me before disappearing to find more. I was grateful when our luggage was dropped into the room too. Carefully, I dropped to my knees by my bag and raked around for a loose-fitting top that wouldn't press to much against the hole in my back. I didn't even care that my skin was still crusted with my own blood. A shower could be had later.

When my ass started to vibrate, I blinked in confusion before remembering the phone I'd shoved in there before we left. I'd forgotten about it with everything going on, hell I was surprised that it was even still there. Fumbling to pull it out, I pit formed in my stomach at the name that lit up the scream. Answering, I pressed the speakerphone button and placed it on the table.

"We're all here, Kincaid," I said, taking my seat again as Atanas came back with more blood bags. Anna sat next to Padraig while my mate perched on the arm of my chair.

Blondie looked like he didn't know what to do so I decided to pretend he wasn't even here. Had Titus asked him to keep an eye on us? Where had he gotten to anyway. . .

"Good news or bad news first?" Kincaid asked, the shuffle of papers sounding through the speaker.

"Bad news first I think." Atanas' voice was calm but I could feel his worry.

More shuffling on the other end and I could hear Kincaid muttering to someone before he settled. "So, the bad news is, the police have released an image and while its blurry, it's unmistakably Shylah and Seth."

Atanas cursed but I'd been expecting this so sat back to finish another bag of blood while I waited for the rest of the news. 

"Good news," Kincaid continued. "Is that they haven't shown her as a suspect but rather a witness. But that could be a ploy. If Shylah were human, she'd more likely go in to talk if she knew she wasn't going to be treated like the potential murderer. Luckily for us, we obviously have no intention of walking into the police station to give a witness statement."

I snorted.

"I hope that sound was because the idea is ludicrous and not because you do indeed plan on handing yourself in." Kincaid sounded wary and I rolled my eyes. Did they really think I was that impulsive?

"I currently have no plans to so much as leave the villa," I confirmed, unable to help but add, "but thanks for having faith in my ability to do the unexpected."

He chuckled and I knew he'd be shaking his head as well. Kincaid was maybe right after all; I had an inability to take anything seriously.

"What's the plan now, my king?" he asked, sobering up.

Atanas leaned closer and I rested my hand on his leg. "We find out what Seth knows. I'll call you back after he's been interrogated and we'll go from there."

That was all we could do. We still had no idea where Airell was and saving Gideon was important to me. As much as I wanted to make him top priority, I knew we had to focus on saving the many rather than the few. That thought put a bitter taste in my mouth.

I listened quietly as Kincaid updated us on what was going on back home. The vampires were getting restless. Most weren't used to living among so many others of our kind. Those that did, didn't trust the solitary vampires. They'd killed another Fallen too. One that was heading for the city centre. We'd been lucky.

I grabbed the iPad from my bag while Atanas and Kincaid continued speaking. Finding a news article, I swallowed at the image that showed me wielding my jewel encrusted blade. I zoomed in, trying to find anything about me or Seth that gave way we weren't human. Our eyes were a little brighter than a humans would be in the dark but I doubted that alone would catch anyone's attention.

But it was the body slumped against the wall that I struggled to look away from. They'd blurred it but I knew what she looked like with her throat torn out, covered in her own blood. Would they be able to tell it was teeth that caused the damage?

Titus walked into the room looking grim faced as Kincaid hung up. I put the iPad on the table, forcing my thoughts away from the dead woman. Another face to haunt my dreams.

"Seth is getting antsy," he informed us.

I smirked and shoved myself to my feet, the room spinning. I braced myself on Atanas' shoulder until I felt steady again.

"Let's go give him a visit then," I said, eager to move onto the next part of our plan.

Atanas gave me a look and picked up another blood bag, pressing it into my hands. "Padraig and I can handle Seth. You need to rest and feed."

"I feel fine, I want to hear what he has to say," I insisted, even as a shooting pain went up and down my back from the bullet wound.

Titus scoffed, stepping further into the room and Blondie folded his arms, standing at his leader's side. "Am I expected to sit out the interrogation?"

Atanas stood too and exhausted already from this fight, I sat back down and tore open the bag. Might as well partake in dinner and a show.

"You're still wondering if I'm in league with Seth," Titus accused, grey eyes flashing angrily. "Would I have helped save the life of your mate and give you a place to hide if I was on the other side."

"Does that mean you're on our side, Titus?" Atanas inquired, allowing his power to wind around the room. The hair on my arms prickled and stood on end.

Anna looked wary as she shifted uncomfortably, brown eyes flicking between Atanas and Titus. Blondie looked twitchy too, the same way I got when I wanted to pull out a dagger. He stiffened when he caught me watching him and I took a little joy in that.

"I'm. . .neutral," Titus bit off. "I refuse to take a side until-"

"Until you know which side is going to win?" Anna interrupted.

A surprised brow jumped up and even Padraig blinked at her. I chuckled, dropping the now empty bag I held on the table. "She's got you there."

"No. I've got you here." Titus smirked but there wasn't the confidence to him now that there was before. "There's only four of you and you're in my home. All the vampires under this roof obey me."

Magic filled the air and the pain disappeared as my hands glowed their silver light. Titus flew back against the door, fighting against an invisible force with wide eyes. I gave Blondie a warning look and all he did was bare his fangs at me. Making my way over to Titus, I curled my fist and he glared at me as I forced him completely still.

"I wouldn't threaten us, Caesar. You won't like what happens," I growled.

His eyes flicked down to my hands and then back to my face as he murmured, "Beautiful."

I released him with a scoff, stepping away. Using magic must have drained the last of my energy because I found I had to sit down again. He was looking at me like he had before, a mix of wonder and desire. Annoyance flickered through the bond from Atanas and I reached out to brush my fingers over the back of his hand.

Straightening up, Titus motioned for Blondie to stand down. Everyone relaxed a little, except Anna whose head hung down. I couldn't see her face to get a read on her expression.

"I swore to you I would make no decisions until we spoke with Seth. I will keep that promise," Titus said stiffly. "As long as I'm not kept out of the business happening under my own roof."

"That seems fair enough to me," Padraig put in, watching his King.

Atanas looked at me and I was surprised he wanted my opinion on this. He knew Titus better than I did. Sighing, I gave Titus a once over. "He has kept his word so far. . .But if he's going, I'm going too."