Chapter 13 ~ When It Rains

For my friend,
Fiona.
You'll be so greatly missed.

Chapter 13: When It Rains
~

"I want to come," Anna demanded firmly. "I refuse to stay behind."

I watched feeling a little guilty as I slid my dagger into place. Padraig shook his head, his hands on her shoulders. "No. I can't do my job if I'm worried about keeping you safe."

Even Atanas cringed. Anna's face contorted into one of fury and she shoved Padraig away from her. His expression darkened too and I wondered if we were about to witness one of their famous fights.

"So I'm just a burden to you? A toy you have to keep safe?" she snapped.

We didn't have time for this and Padraig looked like he was going to blow.

"You don't know how to fight, Anna. You're safer here," I said gently, nearly flinching as her gaze flicked to me.

She growled out her anger before spinning back to Padraig. With venom in her voice, she bowed low, her eyes never leaving her maker's face. "Very well, master. I'll sit and wait here like a good little pet."

"Don't be like that," Padraig sighed.

Anna huffed and sat on the couch, arms folded and eyes trained on the window. I could feel Atanas' need to leave but he remained quiet by the door.

"Just go," Anna muttered, folding her arms.

Another sigh and Padraig picked up his jacket, walking toward where we waited by the door.

"Make sure the door is locked," he murmured and Anna nodded glumly.

I felt a little bad but it was too dangerous for her out there. Maybe it would have been best if she'd stayed back home with Kincaid and the others though I'd never say that for fear of incurring her wrath.

Closing the door gently behind the two men, I waited until I heard the click of the lock.

"She'll forgive you," I said, patting Padraig's arm.

He relaxed a little as we took the stairs down, Atanas trailing behind. "I hope so."

She would. I knew she would. If she could forgive him for turning her, she'd forgive him for this. Everything he did, he did for her. None of us would be able to forgive ourselves if she got hurt on our watch.

I slid my hand into Atanas', needing to feel his strength. He smiled and tugged me into his side. You wouldn't think we were going hunting for a ravenous vampire with the way we acted as we left the hotel. Padraig even stopped to joke with the receptionist.

"Going out again tonight!" the man shouted over.

Padraig grinned, motioning to Atanas and I. "I'm showing my friends around."

"In the dark? I hope you've been keeping an eye on the news. . ."

If only he knew just how closely we'd been keeping an eye on the goings on here. We were far more dangerous than the vampire making headlines, I wanted to say. Instead I gave the human man a friendly smile and he shrugged a shoulder.

"Enjoy yourselves."

It was difficult not to snort. I wished were just here to see the sights and take in the culture of Rome. Perhaps once this was all over, Atanas and I could come back and he could show me the city he'd once called home. As if hearing my thoughts, he kissed my cheek. He'd been so quiet this evening and I could sense the tension he felt through the bond.