Chapter 9 - Even if I Fall, I Get Right Back Up

As my eyes fluttered back and forth, I did the first thing I could think of despite the situation looking grim. I reached for the ring around my finger and twisted it off, tossing the atrocious object far from where I was.

This had a drastic effect on me. My eyes jolted wide open as I coughed.

I turned towards the kid and grabbed his hand. "Come with me."

I led him up the stairs. Once we reached the top, we barged into an empty room with an open window.

The tiny room had wallpaper peeling off from every corner. It was one of the ugliest locations I'd ever seen in my life. There were even burn marks all over the walls. One would think that a fire had already happened here recently.

I breathed in annoyance. "Look kid, we might have to um, well, jump."

I sincerely hope we don't need to jump and that magical stairs would appear on the side of the building. Also, I should probably ask him for his name or where his family is but with the flames catching up to us, I'm in a rush.

We went towards the window as I felt irritation boil inside of me. I'm honestly so tired from jumping pretty much all day. Perhaps I'm being a tad dramatic but no one should have a horrible day like I've had. First, I jump on a thing. By thing, I mean that poisonous berry eating immature brainless monkey. Now I'm most likely going to have to jump and pray that I land on the ground perfectly, on my own two feet though I highly doubt it.

Glancing out of the window into the heavy down pouring of rain, I looked at the side of the building. It seemed impossible to get down but the giant tree next to it lit up hope inside of me. Well, what do you know, trees really do save lives. If I were to scale it, I could possibly make it down in one piece without breaking a single bone in my body. I can so do this. It should be a piece of a cake for someone like me. I'm a knockout who doesn't deserve to be knocked out.

"Alright, hold onto me, I'm going to try going down slowly," I told the kid. He nodded, not uttering a single word.

Once he climbed onto my back, digging his nails into my flesh, I began descending down the tree.

It was extremely difficult to do so with over a hundred pounds on my back. I even got damn splinters from this. Every time a piece of wood impaled me, I silently swore as my eyes watered in anger.

I finally got down to the ground without any serious injuries. I turned towards the child.

"Hey, so what's your name and where's your family?" I asked. The kid blinked back and forth and then all of a sudden---

SMACK!

He punched me right in my sexy, dreamy face.

I didn't have time to even get a word in as he spun on his heels and took off.

Who does this child think he is? He can't be serious!

I help him and I get a smack to the face? I glared in the direction he ran.

I trudged to where my car was. Still broken. The rain kept pouring. It was starting to reflect my mood. Today was such a horrible day. It honestly couldn't get worse.

As I turned around---

WHACK!

------------

I awoke, with my hands tied behind my back, in a rather nice comfortable fancy purple sofa. There was even a cup of hot chocolate next to me.

I then averted my eyes to the old hag-I mean man-sitting in a chair across from me.

"Do you have any idea what you've done?" he hissed.

"No, but if it got me hot chocolate, then I've definitely done something right."

As he began to speak, I started twisting my hands out of the binds. Luckily, they were weak. Whatever sicko tied them had absolutely zero skills. Pathetic. A kid can tie his shoe laces better.

"You have disrupted the order," he said the last word in such a sloppy way.

"Look, you weirdo, I honestly don't have time for a lecture. I'm tired and I just wanna go home." I responded. I almost got my binds undone. Almost.

"You have disrupted the order," he repeated. "You have went into the room of Dahlia, and awoke her spirit. Her bloody chamber on 13 Old Frost Street is now even messier than it was before. Looks as if she tore it apart in a fit of rage."

"I've what? I think someone spends a little too much time devoured in books. Get out more."

He ignored me, continuing. "Dahlia is a demon which feeds on little girls and childlike women like you."

"So I'm a childlike woman? Listen dummy, I saved a kid and escaped a lunatic that wanted me as their slave but I'm nobody's. I doubt after all I've done, I can be classified with childlike qualities."

"You've entered the room of dolls. Dahlia's spirit was locked in there however your presence has caused it to escape. How could you do this to us, you demon lover!" he roared.

"What the heck is wrong with you, moron? I hate demons and I certainly wouldn't free one knowingly. And where was I supposed to go? An evil berry and rotten egg were chasing me, trying to make me their servant. I went into that room to escape. Gosh, why not lock her in an underground crypt? Nooo, a room in a house that anybody can walk into is better."

He sighed in exasperation. "Perhaps you didn't mean for this to happen but what's done is done. The elders haven't been around for generations. It was my task to safe guard that room...but I've been on vacation. I'll admit, I've been slacking off my duty lately. I came back immediately, with the aid of magic, when I felt an unsettling chill run through me. I had no idea psychos broke into my house and were using it as a place to kidnap pretty young ladies." He said all of this casually to me like we were buddies for centuries. "Dahlia's obviously going to revive the three ancients, the bloody vile demons that did unspeakable things and then she's going to..." he trailed off.

My head spun. My job is killing me, my dad tried to sell me, two creeps with no social lives attempted to kidnap me, a lame-o by the name of the vulture is terrorizing our city, annoying me, a demon attacked me, a kid slapped me, and I just freed an evil, powerful demon witch. Why me?