(29) Let's Get Married.

Start from the beginning

With a sigh, he lowered himself towards her and kissed her taut nipples, making her give a little gasp at the back of her throat. The sound almost drove him crazy with passion, with desire, and lust for the woman he loves with all of his beings.

"I know the timing sucks," he said against her lips. "But –"

"It's fine," she interrupted with a smile and tightened her arms around him.

Her fingers went down to his zip and her hand bumped something and she jumped, catapulting herself to the rear end of the bed, her eyes wide in horror.

"What's the matter?"

She pointed down at his zip. "Is that.. is that a gun?"

Devlin kicked himself mentally. How could he have forgotten to disarm himself? He never went anywhere without his gun but he should have remembered that Pamela would be frightened if he brought a gun to her goddamned bedroom!

He whipped the gun from his gun hostler and tossed it on one of the seats in the room.

"See? It's gone."

He unbuckled his belt and removed the hostler. He started to unzip his jeans.

"Stop! stop, stop, stop. We're not doing this."

He was horrified. "What?

"You heard me."

"Pamela, please! I'm dying here."

"We'll have a funeral for you, don't worry."

He gave her a look and she laughed. "Fine. Lock the door."

Devlin grinned and did as he was told with a speed that was faster than that of light. And that was the last thing that was said for a very long time.

~

After that long time, they lay in bed, cuddling and basking in the aftermath of an intense lovemaking session. Pamela couldn't believe she finally let the boss have carnal knowledge of her. She couldn't believe they made love, and it had been the best experience of her life. She had needed the release and was glad she had had it with the man she loved with all her heart.

She looked up at him and saw that he looked.... distant. It was as if he was lost in thought or something. Her heart fell. Was he regretting this? Did he probably find her boring or unsatisfactory? Did he –

Oh no! Was all he'd done for her been because he wanted to sleep with her? Was his love a lie? If it was would he be holding her as tight as he was right now? Like she was his? What if –

He looked at her and laughed.

"What?" She whispered.

"What are you overthinking?"

"Me?" She played dumb.

He stroked her lips with his thumb. "Your facial expression is to die for."

She used her lips to cover his thumb and let him draw it out slowly. His expression turned dark with desire. Good. She still had that power over him. She sat up and adjusted the pillow to buffer her back.

"You're the one overthinking. What's wrong?"

He sighed and used his palm to rub his face. His fatigue was evident from up close. It was so evident that he was bothered, and all she wanted to do was to hold him, kiss him and love him until his haunted look receded from view forever.

"Bull." He literarily growled when he said it. "We found his hideout."

"You did? I can't believe Marcel has a hideout."