(4) The gala - I

Five days after the occurrence, Pamela stood before the foot-length mirror in her room, appreciating her look. She was attending a gala with, wait for it – Devlin – one she didn't want to attend but had no choice because he called the shots.

If she refused, he could burn her dad's body or do something worse. She wondered how he was keeping the body from decaying –  the body might be decaying and rotting already, who knows? It disturbed her.

"You're so beautiful honey," Dorothea said smiling at Pamela with adoration and pride, bringing Pamela out of her depressing thoughts.

Yes, Dorothea was with her. She was brought to the safehouse the same day Cody was sent to bring her. Pamela had hugged her mom in relief, grateful she was fine.

Dorothea had related how she had lived in fear after Pamela was taken. She had released all the workers to go back to their families with huge compensation, and apart from the fear of sleeping alone, she had been fine. That had been a great relief to Pamela.

What hadn't been a relief though, but had instead been strange, was that when her mother had been brought to the house and had seen Devlin, she had hugged him. The thought of it still set her teeth on edge. Why would she hug him? Were they familiar with each other, and if so, why hadn't she seen him around before? What was the secret between Devlin and her mother? Could he be the reason she divorced her father? It was unimaginable.

"Pammy?" Dorothea caressed her hand. "What are you overthinking? You look stunning."

Pamela smiled. "Thank you."

"Is something bugging you?"

She nodded. "I don't know if I'll be able to get along with that man."

"Oh, yes you will." Her mother said waving off her concern. "You'll be totally fine with him, he's a good boy."

"What? Good? That's the last thing I think of him."

Dorothea laughed at the expression on her daughter's face. "He's just being that way because of the circumstances."

"Like?" Pamela prompted.

"You'll know when the time is right."

Pamela had to will herself to be calm. She was in danger and the only thing her mom could offer was cryptic quotes.

There was a gentle knock on the door. Her mom stood to answer it. Pamela wanted to turn her head to look at the person but couldn't because the makeup artist was working on her face and needed her head still. But curiosity ate away at her and she turned her head regardless and saw that it was Cody.

Her mom shut the door after he left. "He said it's getting late and we should round off."

"Okay," Pamela said turning back to her previous position, trying to hide her disappointment. Had she expected Devlin? Of course not. She didn't expect him to come down to her room himself to play the errand boy.

She smile apologetically at the make-up artist and the woman smiled back at her and proceeded. Pamela had a feeling the woman wouldn't mind being interrupted. Not if she wanted to leave with her coffers full and her head intact.

When Devlin told her over breakfast – yes, she started dining with him since her mother arrived – that she would be accompanying him to a yearly gala he attended, she'd looked at him like he was mad. Was that why she was in his house? To be an escort?

"I will not be attending." She'd said grimly.

He took a sip of water. "It's not up for debate."

"You will have to drag me out of here because I repeat, I will not be attending."