Chapter 90: When Fire Is Needed (EP. 05)

"Fly faster Cyra! We have no time left!" Aiden yelled towards his companion, "We need to reach the other side!"

"I'm trying to flap my wings, Aiden! But they feel so numb..." Cyra reasoned. She hissed in anticipation once both of her fiery wings stopped doing their tasks. She gave a startled squawk once she fell onto the frost covered ground, her entire body losing its warm colored glow.

Aiden's frantic steps came into a halt, his face contorted in panic. He quickly kneeled before his feathered friend, examining from her claws to the feathery tip of her head.

"I can see my own breath..."

"It's getting colder here, A-aiden." Cyra stammered, "W-we have to make it out soon. I'm not regretting my words, we should've brought our own horse.. Or something.."

"Horse... Cyra, you're a genius!" Aiden beamed. "W-well damn.." The fire bird muttered under her breath, "He finally c-came to his senses." "We need to find.. Find water," Aiden desperately ran around the area, hoping to find any sign of water. To his bad luck, he did not find any drop of water.

"Why are you looking for water?" Cyra questioned in confusion.

"If... Elsa can call The Nøkk.. What if I can call him, too?"

"You make a smart point. But isn't this place half a forest and a glacier? Aiden, use your logic."

"... Apologies."

Aiden cleared his throat and sang the calling tune as melodious as he can, his voice echoing further and further towards the clearing of old aged pine trees. The lone leaf clinging onto a dying tree left its place and flew with Aiden's voice with grace; and soon, the winter air helped carry the leaf to whom Aiden desired.

Aiden blinked.

"Shoot. We're doomed." He sluggishly fell on his backside to rest beside his friend, "I don't even know if this place is near the Dark Sea."

Clop, clop, clop...

"Hey, Aiden, do you hear something?" Cyra perked up, her feathers recovering its fiery glow. Staring her way makes Aiden only mesmerized since she obviously differed from the dimness of their surroundings.

"Probably chunks of ice again." He sighed. "No, no, this one's different. I feel it coming this way.."
____________________________________
"You don't have to be shy to ask me to go faster, dear king." The water spirit exclaimed as he majestically bounced from one mile to another, "Or you get dizzy easily?" Nøkk playfully bantered.

"The first," Aiden blushed, "Did.. Did it reach you?"

"Oh ho, I have to say, impressively your voice did reach me. Gale did his job quite well today..."

"T-the cold air was Gale? He goes to the dark side of the forest?"

"He does, he does. But usually he would not take leaves with him when he goes to the dark side. Oh, we're nearly here."

The Valley Of The Living Rocks came to full view once Aiden took his eyes off from his sleeping companion, his heart quickening its pace in doubt. Noticing his worry, the water spirit looked at him in utter confusion, "Is.. Is something the matter?"