-Chapter Seven ½-

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Connor? I've got your boyfriend here, and your family should be here soon."

"Boyfri-..."

He cut himself off when he saw Jared, eyes widening and tilting his head to the side in confusion. Jared shook his head slightly, dismissing his unasked question.

"Riiiiiiiiiight... thanks, Peggy."

Peggy smiled with a nod, walking out the door and closing it behind herself.

"B-boyfriend?!"

"It's the only way she would let me in!" Jared quickly defended.

Connor snorted, shaking his head and picking at the nail polish on his thumb.

"So..." Jared muttered, making Connor instantly more nervous.

"I'm already gonna have to talk about this with my family. I don't want to-"

"You cut?"

The emo boi froze, the panic in his eyes obvious.

"W-what?"

"You cut yourself. I know; Peggy- that was her name, right?- Told me. I just wanted-"

"I'm not gonna talk about it. Or let you see, if that's what you're asking," he instantly interrupted, eyes narrowing.

Jared's eyes widened, and he slowly nodded.

"That's obviously a touchy subject, then."

Connor's gaze softened, immediately feeling guilty.

"Y-yeah... sorry," he whispered.

Jared shrugged, sitting at a nearby waiting chair by the bed Connor was sitting on.

"You don't need to apologize. It would be weird if it wasn't sensitive for you."

"Yeah... yeah, I guess. Look, I'm sorry for-"

"Before you apologize again for no god damn reason, I wanna ask. Are you sure you want me to be in here when your family comes?"

Connor shrugged.

"I guess I do. It's really up to you, at this point. Because I can tell you now that you're probably going to feel super awkward," he muttered.

"Eh. I handle that stuff easily. I'll stay. But I'm warning you... Zoe literally despises me. I assume so, anyways."

Connor raised an arched brow.

"And why's that?"

"I'll tell you later," he instantly dismissed. "That or you'll find out from her when they get-"

A man, a woman and Zoe stepped in just then, making Jared fall silent and Connor visibly tense. Jared glanced at over at the other, doing a double-take. He knew that look.

Goodbye Connor, hello angry, careless, emo facade.

"What were you thinking?" the man growled.

"I was thinking that I wanted to die, Larry," Connor snapped.

Jared winced, sucking in a quiet breath. One: this wasn't really Connor. Two: that was... painful to hear.

"No. You were thinking you wanted attention!" Larry barked.

The meme teen opened his mouth to speak up, but the woman did it before he could.

"Enough of this. Every. Time," she stressed. "You both can't even be in the same room as each other. It's ridiculous!"

"No. You know what's ridiculous? A son who won't get out of bed in the morning."