Chapter Thirty-Eight: Starry Eyed

Start from the beginning

My head snapped up when I heard the sound of heels making their way over. I took the time to look each one of the four girls from head to toe. My breathing hitched when I saw that they were all beautiful, stunningly so.

The worst part? They were all platinum blonde. Either they all went to the same hairstylist, or they were related. I looked down at my brown locks, which I had let down that day. Alrighty then, there was yet another thing that made me different.

They all looked similar to Gola, too. I knew I shouldn't be keeping a score in my head, but I was anyway. The tallest of them all lead the other two. It wasn't long before they were right in front of me.

"Hi, my name's Lilly Fenster. We spoke on the phone?" I asked, leaning my hand out to shake theirs.

I wasn't even sure why they had agreed to meet with me. Maybe it was the fact that I mentioned Joshua's name on the phone that got them to meet with me.

"Ashley," The tallest spoke, while shaking my hand. She wasn't exactly friendly, but she wasn't hostile either.

"Hello, my names Melissa!" Said the shortest in the perkiest tone possible, right after the tallest had introduced herself. Normally she would have annoyed the living life out of me, but for some reason I didn't instantly hate the shortest girl.

 All three wore wrap skirts with varying shirts. I wasn't sure if they coordinated or not, but it looked unintentional enough. Lanning had sure done a bitching job of picking the same girl after girl to be Joshua's assistant, and I wondered why she had hired me at all. I looked nothing like the women in front of me, even with my new look.

"I'm Natalie." Said the last girl, shaking my hand. I could tell that she was the brightest out of the three, because she looked at me as if she was trying to figure me out.

All three of us took a seat. We didn't exactly address why they were sitting in front of me first, instead we all ordered coffee and waited. I hated coffee, and I didn't even know why I ordered it. I guess I wanted at least one thing in common with them, but not even if I tried, because I had to send the coffee back once it came. It was just too gross.

Before things go too awkward, I spoke.

"I guess all three of you might be wondering why I invited you here." I started off, cringing inside. No shit, Lilly. Of course they were all fucking wondering!

"You mentioned Josh on the phone." Natalie, spoke as she stirred her coffee. It didn't stop her from staring me down.

"Yeah, I used to be his assistant." I clarified. My cheeks reddened when all three of them perked up and looked at me with sympathy.

"Oh, Honey!" Mellissa addressed me in a friendly way. Her brows were drawn together as she looked at me.

I ended up yelling my next words, because I had realized why they were all looking at me in that way.

"I-I-I didn't sleep with him!" I practically yelled. I wanted to crawl into a hole and bury myself in it when a family sitting in the table beside ours looked at me with mortification.

"I mean, yeah I quit, but it wasn't because I slept with him..." I trailed off trying to clarify the entire situation.

"Wait, you quit? As in, they didn't fire you, you quit?" Ashley said with a brow high in the air.

"Yeah." I said, wringing my hands. All three of them were looking at me in a confused manner now, as if they couldn't believe what I had just said. I couldn't help but feel a little nervous under the scrutiny. Finally after a long pause, Natalie spoke.