Chapter Thirty-Eight: Starry Eyed

I couldn't stop wondering if I was mentally handicapped.

How the hell had I not noticed?

Well, I had, sort of. I hated that there was still a little nugget of doubt. What if I heard him wrong? What if it had been Robert and I confused my own name? What if I simply imagined the entire thing?

Maybe I was more drunk than I thought...

All of these questions kept bugging me throughout the second day. I couldn't even explain how I fell asleep that night. I realized that the mystery kisser was Joshua and then I ended up blacking out. Alright, it wasn't so dramatic but all of the shock and stress from the day did make me fall asleep.

The next morning I couldn't stop myself from wondering if it had been Joshua or not. Robert had convinced him not to come, right?

But, What if he...cared?                                 

Shit, I really hated to over think things. Joshua had a lot of explaining to do, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to face it yet. I part of me wanted to see Robert and ask him what had really happened the night before. An even bigger part of me wanted to go get the answers directly from Joshua.

I sighed, hating how complicated my stupid life had to be. I decided that it was time to put my own plan of action to use.

I already know that Johnny probably had a hangover from the night before, so there was no chance of him calling me so that we could work on the clothing line that day. Instead, I had the whole day to myself, to do what I had wanted to do for a really long time.

So, I spent the entire morning glued to my computer feeling like a total stalker. Remember that one time I googled Joshua Lachowski like crazy? Well, this went above and beyond that first search. I called numbers, looked up names, and tried to find all of the info I needed.

When I had the seven names and numbers written neatly on my notepad, I swear, I shuddered. I wondered what the hell I would be facing when I called. Taking in a big breath and bracing myself for the worst, I dialed the first number.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I was early, but it was only to be expected. Not one of the women I called sounded like the punctual type, or the marginally intelligent type.

Alright, that was a little jealous of me. It wasn't easy calling up all of Joshua's past assistants and asking to meet them. Much less when the reason they had all been fired was because they slept with him.  

I started biting my nails as I waited for them to arrive. The restaurant was packed, which I hopped was a good thing. If I were to lounge from across the table to rip someone's eyes out there would be plenty of people to pull me off. It wouldn't come to that though. I wasn't sure Joshua deserved that from me.

I knew that only three of the seven women would be coming. The other three would not. One of them declined the invitation because she had been too busy getting a tummy tuck, and another one wasn't even in the country. I didn't get to reach the other two girls, so I simply discarded them. I just needed to know a few things from them anyway.

I needed to know if Joshua really, or had, loved me.

I smoothed out the bottom of my dress as I waited in my chair. The day was a little chilly, but the blazer I added on top took most of the cold away. I wondered if the women who were coming looked like me. Had I been just another assistant that Joshua used just so that he wouldn't get bored with his life?

I already knew that in the beginning I wasn't even his type. I didn't give a damn what I looked like. All I cared about was getting the job done, and I had for a while. Had Joshua told them that he loved them, too?