Chapter Thirty-Three: Believe Me

Realizing that you have a broken heart doesn't really hit you until you have a champagne glass in your hand, at least that's how it was for me.

Things had gone from completely shocking to totally weird in the span of an hour, and I had a bad case of whiplash to show for it.

Johnny and Robert were both flanking my sides, as Martin Vance sat directly in front of us. I still couldn't believe I was in a freaking Limo with Martin Vance. Hell, there were about a million other things I still couldn't believe.

Surprisingly, the ride was awfully quiet. I was too tired and worn out to ask questions. For once, I didn't want to know every detail of what was happening to me, at least not at that moment. Joshua had cheated me, but why?

I hated myself when the stupid tears started to roll down my cheeks. I watched them slip from my face and land inside of the glass in my hand. I obviously didn't feel like getting drunk right now, so I didn't mind that the drink was wasted. I was entranced by the patterns my tears would make in the liquid.  It was completely unexpected, and because my crying was mostly silent, no one else in the Limo noticed until a shaky sob finally escaped me.

I felt a strong hand on my shoulder and realized it belonged to Robert. We were practically on the same team now, so I let him. I honestly needed all of the comfort I could get. The streets were sort of packed, but we finally made it to a large skyscraper.

The entire thing looked like it was made of just glass, and it obviously belonged to Martin. The guy hadn't spoken a word to me yet, only nodded to acknowledge my presence when we saw him outside of what used to be my job. He had exchanged a few whispered words with Johnny, which ticked me off. I was now fully aware that the two were friends, or at least worked together.

I knew the minute that I stepped onto the shiny limo that I had changed teams. I belonged to the dark side now, or did I? I had no clue what the fucking dark side was. It all felt pretty dark to me.

We were finally led down a stunning hallway and into a gold plated elevator. We passed by a receptionist desk. I was too distracted when I initially walked in, but for some odd reason the girl in the receptionist desk ducked down when she saw us.

We only saw a head of short straight hair fly down towards the floor.  The chick sounded like a total mess under the desk, because I heard a sharp thump and then loud cursing. Martin sure had lunatics working for him. Was this what I was getting into?

"Damn, Fuckcakes!" A shrill voice yelled from under the desk.

That's when I realized how familiar the voice sounded. This was no ordinary encounter. My eyes practically flew out of my sockets when I formed the connection between the voice and the person who had it.

"Min to the fucking Nerva!" I yelled, sounding like a total idiot myself.

A sharp elbow was the first thing I saw emerge from under the desk. Minerva's head and shoulders came next, until I could see her breathing heavily in my direction.

Minerva tried to smooth out her hair while looking nonchalant. I snorted, because it was obvious that she sucked at being inconspicuous.

"Well, hello Lilly!" Minerva greeted cheerfully. The poor girl practically climbed onto her rollie chair, now that she had no reason to hide.  At least she had the decency to look guilty. I wanted to be mad at Minerva and Martin. I wanted to demand answers and feel betrayed.

 Too bad Joshua had ruined the possibility of that. In all honesty I was ready for anything at that point. If I were to find out that Johnny was actually not gay and was secretly the president of the United States, I would not have batted an eyelash.