Trente-huit

Takuma ran after Jack as the group arrived at the lake

Takuma ran after Jack as the group arrived at the lake. The child thought it would be fun to evade the poor man who was only trying to cover the child in sunscreen. Takuma yelled at the child to stop running which only resulted in Jack increasing his speed towards an unknown destination. 

Aaron and Victoria walked barefoot on the sand. Laughing at the sight of the poor guy chasing the three year old down the beach. "Now that, that's something you don't see every day," Aaron chuckled as he referred to the scene.

"You got that right."

"You never did tell me why an ex-CIA agent is our son's babysitter. I had to learn that little piece of information from Easter," Aaron said.

Victoria looked at him. "Oh I knew that if you knew Takuka was ex-CIA you would have protested. Truth is, with our line of work one can never be too safe."

"Why did he leave?"

"Hmm? Well his lifelong dream was to run a daycare and work with kids. After a handful of cases he realized it wasn't his cup of tea. Simple as that," she responded.

"You know I was angry when Clyde told me. My first though was, what the hell was she thinking," Aaron confessed. "Then I realized how much Jack likes him."

"Yeah, it's gonna be sad when Jack's school days line up with my schedule. They won't have their bro time in the afternoons," She frowned.

"Are you going to stay at the Pentagon? I thought Strauss gave you other career options."

"She did, I could lead my own unit. I have until the end of August to make my decision. It would mean that we would both have hectic schedules," she said. 

"But you would be doing what you love," he stated.

She nodded. "I have lead a team before and I love it. But what about Jack."

"You said it yourself, it takes a village. I won't keep you from doing what makes you happy. You helped me and I will do the same for you. Don't worry about us. We will find a way to make it work. Have you given it a thought?"

Victoria looked off at the lake. The crystal clear water was what had made her fall in love with the place in the first place. "I want to take the job. I've been out of the field long enough and I feel like I'm ready."

Aaron looked at her. "Then what's stopping you?"

"I've just had so much extra time to spend with you and Jack. I don't want that to go away."

Aaron knew what she meant. Their schedules would be drastically different. She could be on a case while he wasn't. "That just makes every single moment we're together more important. What unit will you be leading?"

"Remember when we first met? Rossi called me a jack of all trades?"

"I do."

"Well I've worked in a bit of everything. Sex crimes, crimes against children, murder, explosives, special ops, I have my pick of the crop."