Chapter 50 - Out Of Time

Bold Font - Time/Location

Italic Font - Thoughts

Crane's hearing now began to fade and his skin began to turn pale. He could no longer get up, even though he tried as hard as he could to remove himself from the dirt and debris he was kicked into. Using whatever little Force energy he had left in him, he looked up to see Pyrrha and Prophet moving in a clockwise fashion around the battleground. The opponents began to speak up, but he could barely hear them.

Pyrrha: "Finish what you started? What does that have to do with us?"

Prophet scoffed at her.

Prophet: "My plan will only succeed if the threats are removed. You are a threat, as is he."

Prophet pointed at Crane, who squinted his eyes trying to figure out what was happening.

Prophet: "I know where he comes from. I know what powers wait for me beyond this waste of space called Remnant in the universe. I've seen how this world's fate was meant to be, had his kind not arrived. I like the odds of that fate better than the one I see this current path leading to be."

Pyrrha frowned.

Pyrrha: "I'm guessing those odds only work in your favor."

Prophet grinned menacingly in response. Pyrrha was definitely getting the hang of the hero business, but he accounted for that.

Prophet: "Correct. You see, I have a grand plan..."

Pyrrha: "So you've said."

Prophet: "...And YOU are not a part of it. I require your deaths to serve as a message. Not one of loss and hatred...but one of noble sacrifice. I know where your friends are headed, and I know your ultimate goal is to beat Salem..."

Suddenly, Pyrrha was blinded by a flash of green light followed by pain in her back. Prophet was the one responsible as one might have guessed. He kicked Pyrrha forward onto the ground. Pyrrha quickly pushed herself off the ground and flipped backwards in the air. Landing on her feet, she threw Milo at Prophet, who simply sidestepped it. Pyrrha then used her semblance to redirect the javelin back at Prophet, who grinned and moved to the side once again in response. This time however, he grabbed Milo and brought his knee up to it as he held it horizontally in front of him with both hands. The redhead's eyes opened wide, gazing upon the destruction of her weapon. Even though Crane could barely see what was happening, he was also surprised. He again tried getting up off the ground, but was losing too much blood despite trying to keep it contained with some emergency medical supplies he carried on his belt. Of course it wasn't enough, but it did slow the bleeding down.

Prophet: "You're good..."

Once again blinded by a flash of green, Pyrrha turned around  and held up her shield, expecting Prophet to appear behind her like he did before. Unfortunately, the golden-armored warrior expected this, so he simply teleported forward from his previous position. While she was facing away, Prophet gave her a kick to her right ankle, and the sound of bones breaking and screaming followed. Pyrrha fell over and attempted to throw her shield at him. Prophet caught the shield with ease, and used his powers to vaporize half of the shield.

Prophet: "...But I'm better."

Pyrrha was helpless on the ground. Worn out, battered, weaponless, and scared, all she could do was look up at her assailant in fear. Prophet diverted his eyes from the weakling before him to Pyrrha's shield. He looked over it for a few seconds before looking back to her and threw the remains of the shield off to the side.

Prophet: "Since you won't be alive much longer anyway...I might as well tell you why I need you dead in more detail. You see, I plan on replacing your saber wielding friend over there. After you two are dead, your friends will require a new team member. Someone stronger than you two ever were. I will use them to get to Salem, and once I take her powers, I'll be able to leave this planet and become a god throughout the galaxy. I've long suspected of other powers beyond Remnant, but they've never actually been confirmed until your friend's ship was seen fighting in the Battle of Beacon. Ironwood said it was "a prototype warship" in an interview and people believed it. I'm not so gullible."

Prophet aimed his left hand at Pyrrha and began to summon the green energy he's known for. Crane could barely keep his eyes open. He hoped with every fiber of his being that Prophet wasn't about to do what he thought he was. Prophet sighed with disappointment and began to reveal to Pyrrha how futile her friends' efforts truly were.

Prophet: "Ozpin was such a fool to try and defeat her. It's too bad he never told you that you can't beat Salem."

Crane: "WHAT?! Did...did I hear that correctly?"

Pyrrha couldn't take it any more, and tears began to fall from her eyes. Was he right? He couldn't be.

Prophet: "Aww, don't worry...your friends will find out soon enough. Any last words?"

Pyrrha glared at the green-eyed villain that bested her. She had better make what she said count.

Pyrrha: "Go t-"

She was immediately cut off by a green blast that completely vaporized her, along with the ground in front of her.

Crane: "NOO!"

Crane leaned up off the ground and reached out his right arm in an attempt to use the Force, but failed and fell back once more. Prophet expected Crane to be dead by now, and definitely did not expect to hear his voice cry out. Turning over to him his eyebrows raised, he began to taunt the Jedi.

Prophet: "Oh, you're still alive? How unfortunate...you could have saved yourself the trouble of watching your friend perish at my hand."

Prophet began to walk over to the fallen hero. He stopped right above Crane and glared down at him.

Prophet: "I won't bother finishing you off. The poison that Tyrian gave you will do the trick, along with your stab wounds."

Prophet then placed his fingers on his chin as if thinking, but in reality was taunting him.

Prophet: "That reminds me. I have to thank whoever sent that drone. That GREATLY assisted my endeavor."

Crane growled, but then began to cough up more blood. Once he stopped, he looked back up at Prophet who was now smiling evilly at him. As Prophet knelt down below his face, he brought his right arm up behind is back and charged for a punch.

Prophet: "Now...say goodbye."

The last thing that Crane saw was Prophet's fist come down on his face. Then...everything went black. He was too weak.