Cruelty

Writing these chapters has been challenging but enjoyable so far, I've had to spend a lot of time thinking about how to put them together, as there are many different pieces which need to come together to make this happen.

It wasn't exactly my choice to bring in a new character so close to the end of the story, especially one as complicated and powerful as Darkmire/Pain, but this story wanted to come full circle, for the finale of the story to return to the place where it started.

Pleasure listened with rapt attention as Spyro talked, he told her about Cynder and Ignitus and Imperia. He told her about the amazing things they had done, how hard they tried, and did his best to honestly explain their flaws and mistakes.

While he spoke Scara had returned, bringing with him a waterskin, a large leather sack filled with chilled water from freshly melted snow. Pleasure had accepted the waterskin, drinking and even eating some more of the salted meat cubes she'd been struggling to eat before.

It was immediately visible to see how much this was helping her, the dullness in her eyes, the paleness of her mouth and tongue, and the way her head drooped while she sat had all started to improve.

Her eyes had a faint glimmer to them, able to focus on Spyro for multiple seconds at a time; her eyes were weak from lack of use in the darkness, but she was paying attention and her head was held high.

It was clear there was a long way to go still, but Spyro felt a rush of warmth at knowing he had been able to help.

After a while Pleasure lay down, pushing the plate of meat away and closing her eyes. "Thanks for telling me so much Spyro..."

He smiled. "No problem. You should get some sleep."

"Cynder is really brave isn't she? I hope I get to meet her someday."

"Yes she is, and I'm sure you will." Spyro raised a paw, making it glow with heat. Pleasure sighed as the warmth radiated to her, and it was only a few minutes before she fell asleep.

Spyro finished up the rest of the water, wistfully thinking about how nice it would have been to go and get some snow for himself, but he was just as trapped here as Pleasure was, at least for now. He missed the sky already, he wanted to fly.

"Kill her."

Hope's voice hissed in his mind.

Spyro sighed wearily. "I'm not killing her."

"Do it! While she's helpless. This is our chance. You saw the vision of her killing Cynder. She's interested in Cynder, we can't let them meet."

"You're scared of the Darkmire dragon aren't you?"

Hope growled slightly. "... No."

"That's why you don't dare speak while she's awake. You know it could be what pushes Pleasure over into transforming again. She can sense when you're active."

Hope snarled in anger, but his snarl cut off suddenly as Pleasure's breathing faltered, gritting her teeth.

"Don't feel ashamed. If everytime I spoke it risked waking up her dark side I would hold my tongue too." Spyro chuckled.

"She's been imprisoned here for millennia. It's not just the vessel which is weak and insane. They both are. So much power, and she's a waste of potential. She might be more powerful than me for now, but she's really just broken and pathetic!"

"Shut up you're going to wake her up!" Spyro hissed quietly.

"You're scared too." Hope sneered.