Regrets

Broken shards of ice scattered around Cynder, but the portal was already gone, and their chance to capture Hope had gone with it.

Cynder whirled towards Cyril and roared angrily at him. "What was that!? You stopped me!"

Cyril shook his head. "I'm sorry Cynder. But it was too dangerous."

She snarled and turned away, dismissing him even as he tried to keep justifying himself. Instead she turned towards Malefor. "You! Why didn't you warn us that he could do that? We could have had him!"

"Maybe we could have had him if you had told us that he was in the city when you first had a chance." Malefor snapped back.

Cynder took a furious step towards him, she was angry enough to cut his throat, to stab him with a poison that would make his blood boil, to rip his heart straight out of his chest and stamp on it.

She turned again, forcing herself not to give in to her anger. The shadows swirled around her and she vanished.

She emerged in Spyro's room; it was silent and dark, untouched by the fighting. The windows covered by curtains. She walked slowly across the room, curled up in the bed, and screamed into the pillow.

How had everything been going so right, only for Spyro to disappear from them again?

She still had magic, she was barely even tired. With Malefor and Hope both exhausted it should have been easy for her to use the rest of her strength and help from the Guardians to capture Hope.

It was hardly a minute later that she heard a soft knock on the door.

"Hey, it's me. May I come in?"

Cynder wiped her eyes of a few tears and sat up. "Yes of course."

Imperia nudged the door open and stepped inside. She must have excused herself from the rest of the dragons and come directly to Spyro's home. She walked straight to Cynder and sat down in the bed next to her, wrapping a warm and comfortable wing over her shoulders.

"You found me quickly. Am I really that predictable?"

"Well..." She laughed softly. "Maybe a little bit. I knew you'd come to Spyro's room because you'd want to be alone, but somewhere comforting and familiar, and he is definitely foremost in your thoughts right now."

Cynder nodded and sighed softly. "We were so close..."

Imperia gently brushed a tear from Cynder's cheek. "The guardians told me that you put yourself between dark Spyro and the underground; you saved the lives of everybody in Warfang. I know we didn't catch him; but like Cyril said we've fought so hard to make sure nobody died today, and you especially. I'm so so proud of you Cynder."

Cynder smiled faintly as the silver dragoness hugged her tighter. "Thanks... but we didn't save Spyro."

"We didn't set out to save Spyro this time; he came to us and he hit us where we are most vulnerable. We did what we could to contain him, but what's most important for now is that we kept everyone safe."

The silver dragoness flicked her wing and with a soft gust of wind all the curtains around the room opened, letting in rays of sunlight which illuminated the room and lit up the drawings on the walls.

"I didn't even think of it that way." Cynder admitted. "I was doing everything to save Spyro, I wasn't really trying to protect anyone else. Does that make me selfish?"

"Now now, don't be so harsh on yourself." Imperia chastised her gently. "I know you went looking to make sure Ember was okay; and I know that you put yourself in dark Spyro's way when he was going towards the underground. You might have been focused on saving Spyro; but you did everything you could to keep all of Warfang safe and alive as well."