(19) Racing Towards Imprisonment.

Start from the beginning

"I enjoyed the ribs we ate at that restaurant. So delicious. I hope we can eat there again."

"That, my dear, is a wish that can be accepted." He grinned at her.

Two hours later, they arrived at the cabin. Pamela didn't care that it had taken so long to get there, or that she was far away in a remote place, she was just glad to be away from Bob and his robot boss. When they got there, Marcel's housekeeper was dusting and cleaning. Marcel had called her while they had been on the road. While they waited for the woman to be done, they went to the back of the cabin and sat down beside the lake.

"I love this place," Pamela remarked. "It's so scenic and peaceful."

"My parents gave it to me before they died," Marcel said quietly.

She squeezed his hand and smiled sadly at him. "I'm sorry."

"You were technically the only family I had before –"

"Were?" She interjected. "I still am, Marcel."

He shook his head from side to side in negation. "It's not the same thing."

"I know but, I'm still your friend."

"I don't know about that, Pamela. We don't talk like we used to anymore. It's as if you're drifting apart."

She understood where he was coming from and where he was headed with the conversation so she said nothing.

"There are so many things happening with you nowadays that's strange. For instance, why were you running? And who's that 3D Superman following you about?"

Despite the touchy subject, Pamela laughed. "It's Bob, and he's my bodyguard." That wasn't far from the truth.

He nodded. It wasn't unusual for her to have a bodyguard. Pamela smiled as she remembered how she and Marcel had tried to escape from her bodyguard once. Philip. She swallowed. He'd died the day her father had died, and the day his corpse was stolen. It seemed like ages ago. Guilt washed over her as she recalled she hadn't visited Philip's family since the tragedy.

"Where have you been staying?"

She stopped and looked up at him, uncertainty crossing her features as it was crossing her mind. Should she answer? Was it safe to?

"I mean, after the funeral last week, I came back to look for you but all your mom said was that you were away and you were safe." Marcel continued. "I kept trying your cell but it was taking me to voicemail. I left a dozen of those too." He shrugged. "I was worried – I am worried." He looked into her eyes and she saw concern in them.

Could she trust him? Could she tell him about the safe house she'd been in? She was unsure.

"I'm sorry I didn't respond to your voicemails." She hadn't even bothered to check for or listen to them.

"It's okay." He took her hands in his, an understanding smile on his lips. "I just want to make sure you're alright."

"I am." She said and cleared her throat. "I've been staying at a safe house."

There. She said it. Blast the consequences. This is someone that cared a lot about her well-being. He couldn't harm her. She could even invite him to come to visit her because she knew she would be taken back to the safe as there was no way she could escape Devlin.

Why not make the most of a hopeless situation then? Invite Marcel over. What harm could gentle Marcel do? What threat could he be posing? Devlin might have a fit – but she would stand up to him. It was high time he started respecting her decisions.