22 - For Forever

"All we see is sky for forever."

False was staring at the stars.

She was still severely homesick. On the night that she had fallen from the sky, she'd stormed out on Bdubs, running northwest until a large lake stopped her. All her anger had drained, and she'd collapsed in front of the water and started to sob.

She could still remember all the details of that night. The water had reflected the stars perfectly. Hercules. Serpens Caput. Bootes. Libra. False could hear her dad's voice perfectly. She could hear his laugh and feel his gentle touch as he guided her hand to trace the constellations.

False had reached a hand out into the lake to trace Corona Borealis, watching the water ripple outwards at her touch. She half expected to see Airship Pi float across the sky, but nothing came.

It had been just her and her dad. Now even he was gone. There was no way to contact him. The airship fleet might as well be in the southern hemisphere, staring up at a different set of constellations.

False had let herself get lost in the grief. Bdubs will probably forget about me. He's probably handing out with that other guy who showed up.

All she wanted was to have her dad back. She didn't want to be here. She wanted to be back on her airship, swinging her sword at a target dummy, dealing with petty bullies.

Not here. Not in the middle of a forest, with everything she had lost.

She didn't know how long she sat there, watching the stars through a reflection. It seemed like forever.

Despite the overwhelming sadness she felt, False knew that she couldn't stay here. She wouldn't survive by herself. Bdubs had food and shelter. And, even though she wouldn't admit it, False wanted the company. She didn't like isolation.

The moon traveled across the sky slowly as False had made her way back to the clearing in the forest.

"We let the world pass by for forever."

The night sky reminded Grian of Evo.

He used to sit on a building roof with Taurtis at night, seeing how many stars they could count. They traced their own patterns into the sky and named them. 

Time always seemed to zoom by on those nights, like the whole world could pass by in a matter of minutes. Those were the good days. The days where Grian didn't have to worry about Watchers or broken promises or faded memories. The days were hours were spent carelessly goofing around, with no worry about what would come the next day. Days that were spent living in the moment.

He couldn't sleep.

Grian tossed and turned, staring at the grass and flipping over to watch the leaves rustle on the trees. It was another one of those nights.

He quietly got up and walked into the forest, heading southeast. The shadows made by the trees helped hide him from any monster. He kept going until a loud splash of color interrupted the dark muted shades of the forest.

An open field of sunflowers, framed by the trees, stood in front of him.

Sunflowers normally cheered Grian up. They always followed the bright light of the sun, and they seemed so positive. They gave off the message, be happy! There's something in life worth living for.