Chapter 86: When Fire Is Needed (EP. 01)

A/N: Another conflict rises to challenge our Fire King and our Snow Queen.

But mainly, our Snow Queen.

______________________________________

"To feel the cold for the first time,
It was weary and cruel.
She'd also realized how incriminating it was,
To feel it rush out of her firm rule."

The wind made Arendelle Castle's fine silk curtains sway and dance with the evening breeze, the moon gleaming faintly with the canvas of the night sky. The stars were silent that fateful night, no glimmer- no twinkle. The South Harbor is currently empty of foreign sea vessels, since no ship would dare to travel in the dark wilderness.

All was calm and peaceful throughout this little kingdom in Norway. The surrounding fjords' waves are currently only ripples of the water's very flesh. The Scandinavian themed flags stood like eager poles on each side of the bridge that serves as the main entrance or gateway to Arendelle.

The local houses down below on the main city protected its residents from the harmless environment of cobblestone pathways and active, glowing lampposts. The streets can be might as well described as convenient, and very presence friendly.

There are a few ale taverns meters away from the main city; the night shift bartenders serving freshly brewed beer to either tourists or locals.

This is Arendelle.

The kingdom that will always stand.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

"Brush my hair, please."

"Of course, snowflake."

Aiden swiftly snatched the brush by their vanity, sitting behind his night gown clad wife and trailing his fingertips on the smooth fine tendrils of her platinum blonde locks. He began to brush as soon as he unbraided her hair, gently letting the strands fall down to her shoulders like straight waterfalls.

Elsa sighed contentedly as her husband did his work. She planted a kiss on his cheek after he finished brushing as her favorite kind of thank you. Her hand went on top of his shoulder and she gently pushed him down to lay down with her. She placed her head on his chest and closed her eyes, her head tilting slightly after she lost herself to sleep.

As her nose brushed against the soft cotton of his shirt, he pressed a kiss on the side of her head and whispered a goodnight, his other arm around her that made her feel safe.

After taking one last look at her peaceful slumbering form, Aiden finally closed his eyes and joined his wife.
____________________________________

She was breathing heavily.

She can count the snowflakes on the sides of his cheeks.

She was praying desperately.

His breaths were fairly visible since the ice swarming his heart is pushing him further to the brink of death.

She's crying.

She's afraid.

He was holding his chest to preserve his consciousness, life slowly drifting away from him. His eyes were no longer the shade of green but now a striking blue, that reminded her what the wrath of ice looks like.

Fear, is swallowing her.

Again.

And the worst thing of all, is... This was all her doing.

"Aiden!"

The click of her heels skated further through the ice, the familiar feeling of her ice dress's skirt beneath her folded knees freezing the passing breeze in time.

But the scenery had changed this time.

It wasn't the disgraced prince of the Southern Isles holding his sword with a devious smile on his face, that stood behind her despair.

It was someone else.

It almost seemed like fear had shape shifted into a person.

Made of ice.

Elsa gasped at the horrifying sight of the woman dressed in white and veiled in translucent ice; tinges of red painting the tips of her platinum blonde hair. Her eyes glittered like the monstrosity of ice spikes, dangerous and cunning at the same time.

"Who are you?!"

"I am you. But stronger."
______________________________________

It was Chandler's cry that saved her. Her chest rose and fell wildly as she lifted herself off from Aiden's arms, breathing heavily and frowned at the ice that had formed on the sheets. She gently walked to one of the cribs and picked up the crying prince, rocking him back and forth.

Her mind was still cloudy from the nightmare, but her little son's face managed to replace the petrifying sight. Elsa smiled at how tiny he was placed in her arms, how his cheeks were so plump and pale. His little body stopped thrashing in his bundle.

"You're perfect," She spoke affectionately, "Just like your daddy."

"But he's got your eyes, love."

Elsa chuckled at the new voice, "But he's got your smile."

"Mine and yours combined." he claimed, facing his wife completely.

Chandler was finally settled down again beside his twin, while Elsa folded her arms with a bowed head as she quietly sat on the edge of the bed.

Aiden stared at her intently and sat beside her, "Another nightmare?"

"... Yes."

"How bad was it?"

"..."

He sighed and took her body in his arms, his hands cupping her face to face his once again. There were warm tears already brimming in her blue eyes, and she is trying to look away to hide them. Her cheeks are already flustered in embarrassment, her arms remaining folded against her chest.

It was her usual act of concealing.

"Hey," He whispered, "They'll be gone soon enough, okay?"

Elsa grimaced, "This time, I was the one who had hurt you. Y-you were turning to ice, I couldn't do anything, I- she-"

"Snowflake," Aiden silenced, "You can never hurt anyone. Elsa, you're someone who is unable to hurt the people you love, and you're in control, see? It was all imaginary reverie. You don't need to dwell on it, alright? I'm here. I'm here. And I'll always be."

Elsa smiled, then briefly kissed him. "I love you." She spoke softly, brushing their noses together.

Aiden grinned, holding her closer, "Please, say that again."

"I love you."

"Again."

"I love you."

"Can't quite catch that."

"I love you, so much, lover."

Aiden finally shot her a smile, and replied, "I love you, too."

I will love you until the last day the sun will shine.

In the midst of seven billion people,
He found the one who gave him hope.
In the midst of dark despair,
She whisked him away from the life he coped.