30. Adrenaline

"Sherlock!" I shout again but don't hear an answer. Quickly I turn around so my back is pressed against the door and shine my flashlight around the room trying to keep my hands steady.

It was not a ghost. Ghosts are not real.

Was that the closet door that slammed a moment ago? I closed that earlier and checked inside it... and this door behind me also closed on its own... but how? Was there someone hiding behind the closet somehow? A hidden door maybe?

Taking a breath I crouch down slowly and pick up the Ghost Box and hold down the button,

"Who? Or what are you?"

I need to play along at least right? Wait for whoever this is to make a mistake?

"It will kill... you too." The voice responds, the words hard to make out as the ghost box begins to make it's popping noise again.

What in the hell is going on? Kill me? Really? We'll see about that...

"Right, go ahead and try then." I call out but the ghost box just begins popping, no more words coming out.

Faulty equipment? Or is it really being tampered with?

Confused and bit annoyed with all the games I turn off the Ghost Box not wanting to be manipulated by whatever was at play here any longer.

Ghosts aren't real... I know they're not. They can't be. So does that mean one of Oliver's crew is somehow using the Ghost Boxes to scare us or create more evidence? Messing with it's frequencies? The ghost box allows spirits to manipulate different AM and FM frequencies right? So all someone would need to do is create a frequency for the device to pick up on... is that even possible? Create a frequency...

There's a knock on the door behind me a moment later and I nearly jump out of my skin turning to face the door.

"Ashlyn?" I hear Sherlock call from the other side.

Hurrying I grab the door handle but it won't budge and there's no visible lock on my end.

How did someone manage this?

"Sorry I think it's stuck, is there a lock on your end?" I ask as casually as I can.

Oliver grumbles under his breath trying the door as well, "Did something happen in there? Is everything alright?"

Debating I grit my teeth, "Nothing happened. Ben just went to use the bathroom a moment ago... but I guess this door is stuck now. No clue how that could have happened."

Quickly I try to calm myself and hurry over to the floor lamp to see if it will turn back on which it does after a little fiddling with the buttons. Outside I hear Oliver and Sherlock talking to Ben as he's just returned from his bathroom break by the sound of it.

"Ashlyn," Sherlock calls, "We're going to break the door in so stand clear."

Exhaling in relief I do as he says and step far away, "Go ahead!"

There's some more arguing before there's the slam of two bodies against the door and the lock breaks splintering the wood in the door jam and Sherlock and Oliver come tumbling inside.

Oliver hops up urgently gesturing for Ben to come in and I notice he's filming, Oliver must have told him to do so, suspecting something had happened in here with me. Odd since I already said nothing had happened. But he assumes something must have happened because he planned it that way right?

"So Ben, did anything come through the Ghost Box or show up on camera?" Oliver promts eagerly his eyes glancing my way as well.

Ben shakes his head, "Nothing happened while I was here..."