16. Guardian Angel

~Sherlock

My phone rings loudly from somewhere in my bedroom disturbing my restless slumber, rolling over I check under my pillow and blankets... No... Falling out of bed I grunt spotting the phone chiming insistently on the floor. Not recognizing the number, I answer it, anyway. It's late, I've probably only been asleep a few hours.

"Hello?" I ask rubbing my eyes stifling a yawn.

There's a shaky exhale of relief on the other end, "It's me." Ashlyn's voice responds.

I sit up, eyes wide, "Ashlyn! Where are you?"

"Still here... uh... something's happening? A game of some kind...?" She whispers into the phone, sounding confused and on edge.

Jumping up, I begin to rip off my PJs with one hand while keeping my phone to one ear and search for some clothes, "Explain."

"Well... everyone's disappeared. I haven't seen a single person in the last two days or so... my door unlocked by its self just now, a blank security badge and this phone left outside. The lights just shut off... I'm making my way to the computer room from before." She says hurriedly sounding very disturbed, "I couldn't reach Mycroft so... luckily I remembered your number."

She called Mycroft before she called me? I yank on some normal clothes and grab my coat, "I need you to figure out where you are, find a window, look around."

She hesitates, "In a bit... I'm at the computer room now." I hear her typing rapidly on the keyboard, probably one handed.

I glance around the dark flat, Johns upstairs asleep. Best he stay home. Grabbing my gun, I tuck it into my coat before heading out the door.

"Damn, they've wiped the system. Who is that...?" I hear Ashlyn whisper before she gasps.

"Ashlyn?!" I say urgently, jogging down the stairs and out the front door.

"I saw someone on one of the security cameras... but now all the cameras are shutting down." She responds, panic evident in her voice as she continues to type on the computers.

Scanning the street for a cab, I glance at the phone, 4am, "Ashlyn sighs, I need you to focus, I need a way to find you."

"In a minute... I'm trying to see what floor I saw that person on-" I hear a few loud popping noises followed by glass shattering sounds, "They shorted the security room."

"Ashlyn." I mutter as I begin jogging down the street looking for a cab further down.

"Ok ok... I'm... I'll go look for a window." I hear the door squeak loudly as she leaves the room, her breathing shallowing out nervously. She's delirious probably, with the lack of food and proper rest. Unfocused.

I spot a cab and wave at it frantically, it slows pulling up to the curb, "Ashlyn keep talking." I get in the cab quickly.

"Uh... I've found a stairwell. I'm in one of the basement floors... most likely, I'm going to start going up." She sighs, obviously not looking forward to jogging up all the stairs. I hear her take a breath before the sound of her feet pounding echoing off the walls as she sprints up the stairs.

The cabbie speaks up, "Where to?"

I spare him a glance, handing him some cash, "I'm waiting for the details. It'll be just a moment."

Ashlyn makes a yelping sound and I grimace, "You ok?"

She sighs annoyed, "It's dark... this damn phone doesn't give off much light-"

Suddenly the sound of a door slamming open startles Ashlyn, I hear a loud bang of something hitting a metal railing. Ashlyn shouts something and I hear another loud noise, like something heavy falling down the stairs.