24. The Curtain Rises

The sound of hands clapping together to get everyone's attention comes from the center stage where the Codirector stands. Silence falls over the staff and she smiles,

"After some careful deliberation Mr. Morton has decided that the show will go on as scheduled. Russels replacement will be decided shortly, at this point as there was not a backup for Romeo we are asking that anyone prepared or interested in playing Romeo come see me in my office within the next 10 minutes. Any backups that know Romeos lines, any actor with that thinks they can handle it and willing to trade roles as long as they have a backup for their own role is welcome to visit me in my office. That is all for now, everyone be ready to rehearse in 15 minutes with our new Romeo from scene 1. Thank you."

Shock and excitement settles over the cast and for a moment I'm in shock too. They aren't cancelling the show?! I just talked to the Director a few minutes ago... you'd think he'd need longer than a few minutes to decide my claims weren't strong enough to warrant cancelling the show. Shaking my head I look around me searching for Sherlock, surely he heard the announcement. Quickly I pull out my phone texting Sherlock.

"Where are you?-Ash"

When he doesn't immediately respond I bite my lip, That's not good.

Taking a deep breath I force all my thoughts and worries from my mind and take in the people around me. Ok, who is all here. Something is wrong, something is missing. Someone who doesn't stand out, is liked by most but isn't missed if they aren't on stage. It's not an actor. It's either stage crew or a fan... but no ones stood out... which is their goal. They don't want to be recognized or suspected... and Sherlock is gone, which means whoever they are isn't on stage with everyone else right now.

My mind freezes, the room around me pausing as I conjure up an image of everyone I saw on stage or near by for the announcement. Who was missing... who...

Inhaling sharply I open my eyes and begin to head back stage. Silently I make my way down the dressing room hallways and prop rooms, finally I come to a stop outside Russels dressing room. If I were the culprit, and wanted to set a trap for someone... I'd use a room recently vacated of its owner.

Bracing myself mentally I try turning the door handle, unlocked. With one hand on my gun hidden within my coat pocket I open the door quietly and push it to open on its own.

I was too sympathetic... I didn't notice the culprit standing in plain sight.

The room is dark, light spills inside as the door swings open slowly. Finally revealing the long body of an unconscious Sherlock laying on the floor, he isn't moving but I don't panic looking around at the dark room searching for a particular shadow.

When nothing moves I reach over flipping the light switch on the wall. No one else is in the room. Quickly I enter the room closing the door behind me and locking it.

"Sherlock?" I ask quickly moving to the costume closet and checking for anyone hiding in there but find no one.

Sherlock having heard me makes a groaning sound but doesn't get up. I make my way back to him and crouch down to examine his condition, his eyes flutter and I shake his shoulder gently checking for any knife wounds or blood on him.

"Sherlock what happened?" I insist and he gasps finally coming to with a wince and sitting up.

He looks around quickly, "The masked killer he isn't working alone."

Sherlock rubs the back of his head looking annoyed as he ruffles his hair aggressively, "I figured he may set a trap for you or Declan, so I went looking for it..."