13• The Toad's Message

Start from the beginning

"That is quite enough, Delilah!" The woman snaps out, snatching her daughter by her arm roughly and dragging her behind. "I sacrificed my career to have you. The least you could do is behave for once while I try to reestablish it!"

I don't want to open my eyes anymore. No. I want to pretend mommy wanted to stay but couldn't. I want to pretend she loved me more than she loved the cameras.

🐏

The Hawthorn Cottage

The mood is quite somber back at the cottage. The Hawthorns are entirely ignorant of what has befallen their bride. Instead they've been bickering back and forth about Delilah's fate. No longer is she a mere human girl with a penchant for daydreams and naps. All five realize the grave danger that awaits her in the shadows of the night.

The Briar King meddles rarely and the fact that he has in fact meddled with Delilah's fate, seeking her out in a very interesting method untypical of the deity, is concerning. The Briar King is notoriously arrogant, unafraid to confront mortals in the flesh. That he chose the dreamscape, in combination with the odd occurrence that happened at Delilah's residence, is telling on its own.

"We'll need to find The Hoot Owl. If anyone will know exactly what Delilah is, it'll be her," Christian says gravely. He's leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed. He wears a white button up that's half way undone and tucked into black slacks. His pale hair frames his angelic face messily, a bit of green goo from his morning concoction stuck in his bangs.

Corvus stares gloomily out the window, more alert and hawk like than his usual owlish persona. His baggy black sweater hangs off his bare shoulder, skinny jeans on his legs, and his feet bare. The lone white lock of hair hangs in his stormy eyes that narrow at the tree line suspiciously. He feels a prickle at the back of his neck, foreboding and alarming. He barely hears the words the others toss around behind him, solely focused on his primal instincts whispering to him that something has gone very wrong with Delilah, his newest trinket.

Judas paces the cobblestone floors in the kitchen, shifting back and forth between man and beast. In both cases, a snarl curls his lips and his red eyes glow hatefully. As he turns into man once more, he bites out, " I'll be damned if I let anything happen to her. This is fucking bullshit! It wasn't suppose to go this way!"

Fakir rolls his eyes from his perch on the kitchen table. He leans back on it, putting his weight on his arms. His legs are crossed regally, his head lazily falling to one side. "None of us will let anything happen to her. She's not just yours, Judas."

Judas shifts back into a black dog and snaps his frothing jaws at the fairy before storming in the other direction to continue pacing.

Indigo sighs heavily before focusing solely on Christian, " Do you know where she is?"
Christian shrugs noncommittally, " She tends to appear when she feels like appearing. But she's a powerful being by her own right. She may be able to help us help our bride."

Indigo hums in thought. His skeletal fingers - ungloved for once and ragged from not feeding - pet his jaw while he thinks it over. It's as he's pondering their next move that he finally realizes Corvus hasn't said a word the entire time they've been debating back and forth.

Indigo steps towards him only once and in his haunting voice that projects without force, he says, " What is it, Corvus?"