Legerity

Legerity

Logan Mitchell

"I swear to God if that's Hayden, I'm going transparent," the polite, kind Brooklyn says from the loveseat, sinking deeper into her seat as the sound of footsteps get closer outside.

"Oh shit. She's swearing. We're really to the breaking point huh?" Will jokes.

"Everybody please just shut up," Ed says, leaning his head on Brooklyn's.

The doors to our lounge open and we're all relieved to see that it's Zack instead of Hayden. The man has a tablespoon of compassion, which is a whole tablespoon more than her.

No one says anything as he surveys the room, not even attempting to hide the disappointment when he doesn't see Rose. "She's still not in?"

"Hasn't been for four days. Why don't you grow a pair and just go visit her in the hospital wing?" Brooklyn surprises us all again, mouthing off to a superior.

This earns her a concerned glance from everyone in the room except Hope who just raises her glass of chocolate milk, "Here, here."

"You know you report to me, right?" Zack asks, not threatening, but definitely confused she'd challenge him.

"You know I can just want you to combust, and it'll happen, right?" she raises her eyebrows at him.

"I'm gonna go now," he nods before dipping out the way he came.

We all go silent again, too tired to even keep our eyes open.

After a few moments, Eddie stands suddenly, then picks up Brooklyn and hauls her over his shoulder. "We're going home. Tell Hayden we said fuck off if she wants us to come back in to train." He at least fakes a smile at the end.

Lulls of farewells and waves follow them out the door, the three of us just too exhausted to do much else.

It took two entire days for us to repair the building. We were all completely drained of any magic and physical strength we had. Then Hayden demanded training start up again the very next day. Brooklyn was the last of us to tire out, but when she went, the whole group snapped.

Hayden had called us for training at noon today, and Brooklyn was the only one able to conjure anything. Even then, it was a tiny flicker of flame on the tip of her pointer finger. Hayden gnawed our asses bare for our lack of professionalism and poor attitude.

Agent Rain has only made herself into someone to challenge or someone to fear. That doesn't impress me in the slightest for a leader, but she was what we had. She lost my respect entirely when she acted insulted that none of us were trying during training. How can you pretend to be a leader when you don't understand your teams limits? She knows nothing about magic, and therefore shouldn't be the leader of a magical rebellion.

"I think I'm going to visit Rose," Hope announces to Will and I, standing and placing her glass on the coffee table.

"I don't think that's a very goo--you know what, whatever makes you happy," Will says to her, ending with a toothless smile.

She hums to herself as she glides out of the room. She's so beautiful.

Turning abruptly just as she gets to the door, she shoots fingers gun at us, "See you guys...later."

Will rolls his eyes while I chuckle at her goofiness.

As she disappears down the hall, I try not to notice Will eyeing me. But then he purses his lips and wrinkles down his eyebrows. "Let's go fuck around; I have an idea."