As the Water Rushes In

Zachary Griffyn

I grimace as I see where she's taken me.

"Ice skating?" I ask, placing my hand on the small of her back as I guide her into the building.

"You don't like it? We don't have to go in if you don't want to," she says, halting her steps.

But seeing the frown on her face, I realize it'll be worth it to bruise my ass.

Hell, I'd take a bullet for her.

"No no no no. Let's go in," I grin down at her, and she returns it.

God, what I wouldn't give to make her smile like that for the rest of my life.

But I know this has to be too good to be true.

We get our skates, and she fights me on paying, as she does every time, jokingly pouting when I finally give the man some cash.

Skating with her is like flying. She skates so well; I blame it on her dance training. And she makes sure to hold tightly onto me to make sure I don't fall. But I do, multiple times, and usually take her down with me.

I love the way she giggles as she tries to hoist us up, having an impeccable balance. We go around a few times, myself getting the hang of it. Somewhat.

She lets go of me for a moment, placing the hand she had been holding onto the railing before she skates off, going around the rink once by herself and doing a spin just as she meets me.

God, she is so beautiful. She doesn't put on much makeup for me, a stark change from the time that I met her and her eyes were encompassed in detailed, thick winged eyeliner. Now her tanned face bares all, maybe with a little mascara though. And I still find myself completely awestruck at her beauty.

"You show-off," I laugh with my tongue between my teeth.

She laughs with me as I tuck a strand of her golden blonde hair behind her ear.

"You're beautiful, love."

A blush creeps up on her cheeks, and she leans to kiss me quickly to hide it.

"You're very handsome, yourself."

I hold her hand as we both exit the rink, deciding we should go back to my 'place.'

Since I can't take her back to the base, I've been renting a home on the other side of this town. I know I won't be working here for more than a few years, but maybe she'll want to come with me when that time comes. Maybe I'll be able to tell her about my job. Eventually.

My father was able to do it with my mother. What's so different about our situation?

Okay, so maybe there was some supernatural business that I was working for, and my father was working for a covert US institution.

Small difference though, right?

God, what am I even thinking? Hayden won't let this get that far. All I was supposed to do was intercept one of her recruits; the man apparently had a drinking problem and a temper. Hayden even called him a bitch, which I found all too humorous.

Somehow I landed this blonde angel, who has brought nothing but happiness into my life since the very hour I met her.

Nothing has felt so right since her. I feel so at peace with everything.

Hell, there's a whole war going on, and I'm falling in love.

The whole drive back to my rented place, I dream of what our life would be together. I don't want a future if it's without her.