* ENTRY 16

I found myself hiking deep within an unfamiliar forest with no memory of having traveled there. Queen Suzerain was walking in front of me on a tiny trail cut by deer hooves. "Queen Suzerain, why are we here?" I finally asked.

We stopped in a clearing of dewy ferns surrounded by red pines so tall they scraped the sky. "The Courier lives near this place," said the queen. "Here, I will prepare you for your final task."

"Tell me more about this courier," I said, taking a deep breath.

"The Courier, the keeper of the sacred phrase, is but a mortal. A young human man, average in all respects. The task ahead of him is great--likely impossible--but I intend to give him a fighting chance."

"How?"

"He needs a guide. Someone to help him navigate the trials of magick he must face. This will be you. Alas, his will is weak. I doubt he will trust an outsider."

I nodded and steeled myself. "Whom will he trust, then?"

"Unbeknownst to The Courier, his dearest friend was recently lost at sea--a woman named Eve Plimb. She perished in a horrible maelstrom along with her husband. I retrieved their souls before they left the mortal plane with these." The queen pulled two small vials from a gold band around her waist. "Soul vessels."

A spark of pale blue light danced in each minuscule jar. "Why?" I asked.

"I will reform your flesh until you resemble Eve Plimb, then merge your soul with hers. This will imbue Eve Plimb with your deep understanding of the ways of magick from your time with the faeries—and if we're lucky, a dose of your courage."

"Will...we...retain the powers of the Aloja?"

"No. Your combined form will be mortal in all ways. No magick abilities at all, just knowledge of its use. Even though you will not retain any mystical power, your muscle memory should enhance Eve's physical prowess. You are a fine warrior."

This wasn't what I had been expecting. "And what becomes of my mind once our fates are intertwined?"

The queen put her hand gently on my shoulder. "I'm sorry Pteridophia, but I'm afraid your essence will not survive the transference. However, you already know you were not long for this world. As a halfbreed residing in a realm of fading magick, your life was always destined to be tragically short. Eve Plimb's resurrection will ensure a part of you lives on--your memories."

"I'll...I'll do what must be done," I stammered.

"Good," said the queen. "The great energy you harvested from Danica will coalesce with my own to make the transference possible."

I suddenly had second thoughts. I still wasn't sure if I could trust an Antecedent. Maybe I was just afraid. "Why? Why would I agree to this? It's madness."

Queen Suzerain pulled another vial from her belt. "As your reward, I will shepherd your mother's soul back to the magickal realm, where she can be at peace. The spirit of the Aloja will survive beyond the veil."

My lip trembled as I remembered my mother. What would she think of all this? I took the vial from the queen and gazed at the spec of pulsating light inside. "Mother, you spent your waning energy trying to protect me, now it is time to rest. Let Amma guide you to a place of peace. I love you."

"She'd be proud of you," said Queen Suzerain, taking the vial back carefully.

"I'll do it...but only for her," I said, trying to keep my emotions in check. "What's inside the third vial?" I asked.

"The soul of Eve's husband, Steven Plimb. I will take this soul upon myself and assume his identity. This will allow us to hide in the human city where The Courier resides. There, we'll prepare our final plans. It will take several weeks for you to heal from the difficult process ahead. I will watch over you until the time is right."

I was confused. "Won't merging with a human change you as well?"

The queen shook her head. "I am powerful enough to shed the mortal's form and soul at any time. I wish you could be as lucky, Pteridophia."

"If you're so powerful, why not just do all of this yourself? Why rely on a human?"

"I will act as needed, but breaking the prophecy of The Courier will result in an unknown outcome. This is the only way we can guarantee success."

I could still feel the heat of my mother's soul in my hand. I had no choice but to believe the queen.