* ENTRY 3

I spied another peculiar structure on the far edge of the plateau--a crumbling stone well. On my way to get a closer look, a blackbird landed atop my shoulder and released a startling shriek. My heart jumped into my throat and I stumbled backwards, directly off the cliff.

I was airborne for a moment until a strong, smooth hand wrapped around my scrawny arm. An uncanny yet beautiful woman had a hold of me, her skin as black as the space between stars. Long, elegant feathers framed her face, gold gleaming from the edge of each iridescent quill. Her piercing green eyes examined me inquisitively as she placed me on solid ground. "You're the blackbird!" I said, the words barely leaving my trembling mouth. A plunging frock trimmed in lace materialized on the strange being's sloping curves as I stared in astonishment.

"Not a blackbird...Aloja," said the creature, her voice gentle yet resonant. "I am known as Caterina Enganxa."

"My name is--"

"I know who you think you are, but your real name is Pteridophia."

I was stunned. Father always called me Nina. I never questioned him. Somehow, I knew this—thing—wasn't lying.

Caterina leaned over me, a stern expression on her face. "You touched the stone and I came for you."

"Please, don't hurt me! I'm sorry I--"

The feathered woman held a long finger to her ebony lips. "Shh. You must not shout. My sister Maria sleeps peacefully in the well for now, but she is always hungry."

The unassuming well was suddenly terrifying. "Hungry?"

Caterina's mouth curled into a smile. "Hungry for young flesh. She'll prod you with her iron hook and pull you down and down, stupid child."

"What about you? Will you eat me?"

I watched Caterina look skyward, considering the thought. "I am not hungry and humans taste so awful. So awful indeed." She stuck out her pink, forked tongue in disgust.

For some reason I laughed. "Okay, good." I peered at the well again. "Are we safe?"

"Yes, as long as we keep our voices gentle. My sister Maria prefers the dark. I prefer the light. We are safe while the sun still shines."

"You...you speak English."

"I am who I need to be. I do what I must," said Caterina, before turning her back to me. "We are Aloja and we disappear. All of us."

"Aloja? Is there only two of you?" I asked.

"In short time there will be none," she replied.

I couldn't help but feel sad for the creature. "You must be lonely. I get lonesome too."

Caterina gazed at me over her shoulder and flashed a wide grin of gleaming, sharpened teeth. Somehow, her beauty transcended her menace. "Girl, come to the pool and swim with me. I used to boil the children there, but no longer. Soon, I will be gone so there is little need to eat. My sister is too stupid to realize this. Please, join me."

I nodded. Maybe I should have ran for my life, but something compelled me to join her.