* ENTRY 5

I conversed with my new friend for hours. She regaled me with incredible tales of what she called the "magickal realm." Caterina explained that the universe as we know it was composed of two domains: the physical realm, or plane, and a separate slice of reality formed of pure magick.

After asking Caterina a thousand questions, I learned Magick had come into existence after humans began to attempt to explain the world around them using story and song. When myths became beliefs, magickal beings were birthed onto the physical plane. Sadly, fables and folklore had lost their power in the modern age, leaving magick to falter in the wake of science and reason. I was utterly enthralled, even though I barely understood anything she was telling me.

"Such a curious creature," said Caterina. She had just finished telling a convoluted tale about a cadre of powerful beings known as The Five Antecedents. "You ask so many questions. They reveal more about you than you may suspect." She playfully splashed some water at me.

"Can you blame me? I've never heard such wondrous things," I said, blushing. For a moment I wondered if my father was worried about me. The next moment I didn't care.

Caterina suddenly looked nervous. It wasn't a comforting sight. "We must go. I have enjoyed your company for too long."

I noticed the sun was starting to dip. "Can't we stay a little while longer."

"No, time to leave."

"I just--" before I could continue, a great gust of air blew me across the pool into Caterina's arms. I twisted my head in fear, seeing a shadowy figure dart inside the cave. The sun struck the interloper, revealing a creature similar to Caterina, but with crimson feathers quivering like flames licking the air.

"Maria!" said Caterina with alarm. She lifted me from the pool and quickly moved in front of me. "Sister, why are you here? The sun--"

"The sun is fading and I smelled a child," interrupted Maria, her golden eyes full of rage. "Sister, you should not keep secrets from me," she growled, her voice scraping in her throat like loose rock. Her blood red wings parted and moved behind her back, revealing a rusty iron hook clenched in her fist.

"Fool!" shouted Caterina. "Magick has faded. The time of the Aloja is at an end! Feasting on a mortal will not restore you...not anymore."

"Sister," growled Maria. "This isn't about what I need, but what I want." The demon licked her thin lips, sending a shiver through me.