Chapter 25 - Suspension

I twirl my pen between my fingers, keeping my head down. Disappearing from school for 3 days with the three most notable guys in school tends to attract a lot of attention. Unwanted attention.
"I heard she's blackmailing them, something to do with their parents. It's why she moved here in the first place."
I grit my teeth, annoyance filling me.
You'd think people would know how to whisper properly.
"I heard that her parents paid them for protection. Apparently she's in trouble with some dangerous people. Her parents paid for them and then ran for safety themselves. Apparently the three even live with her now."
If only one of the lads were here to glare at them so they'd shut up.

I blink hard a few times and try to refocus on my work. With all the chaos of being away, the boys had convinced me to stay off to recover. However, I'd totally forgotten about homework, now I had 10 minutes left to finish my maths for Ms O'Reilly. I wouldn't bother if it hadn't been set last week so I have no excuse. I start to scribble down answers until the sheet is snatched away from me.
"You need to stop. Now." I look up, the nasal tone of Ashley's voice going right through me.
"Whatever you're doing to make them talk to you, stop. I don't care what it is." I look back at the empty desk in front of me, hoping she'll leave if I don't respond.
"Answer me, bitch," she hisses. I gulp and try not to react.
"This isn't over. You'll regret everything once we're done with you." She crumples up my sheet, leaving it on the desk as she storms away. I breathe a sigh of relief before trying to smooth the paper.

***

"Thursday's are so long," Sam whines, shoveling more food into his mouth. I look down at my pasta, pushing it around with my fork.
"Not hungry Sweetheart?" I shake my head, lifting my head to give Mason what I hoped was a reassuring smile. "Hey Sam, c'mon, we need to go talk to your uncle, remember?" Miles says, quickly changing the subject. Sam nods slowly before the two hastily leave.
"What's wrong Princess?" Mason asks quietly, leaning in close.
"Nothing," I sigh, "just tired of rumours is all."
"We could always ask Sam's uncle to move you into our study class?" He offers, but I shake my head quickly.
"No, it's okay. I can handle it. It's fine." He stares at me, studying my face. "Eat up Cupcake," he grins.

***

I huff in annoyance as the pages of my history book flick in the breeze.
"Relax Tiny, you're not going to get in trouble if it's not done." Sam says, leaning back against the tree as he wraps an arm around me.
"I'm not using your uncle to become lazy Sam, I need to catch up."I chastise teasingly. He shrugs, smiling lazily.
"Suit yourself." I go back to trying to analyse sources, as Sam watches the other two wrestle.
How they find it entertaining, I'll never know.
"I'm going to go surprise attack Mason. You okay here?" I nod in reply without looking up, too focused on my writing.

Roughly ten minutes later I close my book in relief, finally finished. I lean back, closing my eyes.
Did we have biology homework?
My peace is abruptly ruined by a screeching yell.
"There she is Sir. She's the one who did it."

I look over, wide-eyed as a red faced Ashley storms towards me, followed closely by Lauren, Jess and Mr Lidgely, the vice-principal. I scramble to my feet, quickly glancing over to the boys, seeing that they're still fighting.
"My office. Now." I nod meekly at the teacher who now stood too close for comfort. He turns on his heel and as I collect my stuff, I catch a glimpse of the Trixie Triplets smug faces.

MASON'S POV

I chuckle quietly, tackling Sam around the waist. Miles quickly comes behind me and uses a choke hold. I manage to flip him over me, making the two groan in pain. I laugh again before standing up, knowing I've won. I glance up the bank to Paige's tree, only to see it abandoned.

"Hey baby, you looking for me?" I roll my eyes, mood instantly dropping as I turn to face Lauren.
"What do you want?" I ask shortly.
"Aww, cheer up babe. We can go somewhere so I can make you feel better if you want?" She flutters her eyelashes, stroking my bicep.
"No. Now get off me." I snap. I pull my arm out of her talons and look to see Sam and Miles in similar situations.
"Come on guys, let's go find Paige." As we start to walk away, an entitled squeak comes from behind us.
"What does that bitch have against you?! Why do you hang around with that freak?! Why won't you just be with me?!"
All three of us stiffen at her words. My hands clench into fists, knuckles white with the effort of restraining myself. I turn sharply on my heel, my glare so intense that it makes the three bitches turn pale.
"Insult her again. I dare you." I growl, now shaking as I try to control myself. None of them dare even speak.

Sam tugs on my shoulder and we walk inside.
"I'm going to murder someone," I mutter to myself, but see Miles nodding in agreement. The three of us prowl the hallways, looking for any signs of Paige.

PAIGE'S POV

"What you've done is absolutely unacceptable Miss Thornton. I don't know what kind of school you've come from but we do not tolerate this kind of behaviour here at Lincoln High. Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

"S...Sir, I di...did...didn't-"

"Don't deny it! A reputable student such as Ashley would never lie about such a thing. You, on the other hand, are in danger of creating a reputation for yourself. Skipping classes to hide in the toilets, leaving school without an excuse note, multiple absent days. We are only in term one!" Hot tears run down my cheeks and onto my shaking hands, a sob escapes me.
"Crocodile tears will get you nowhere Miss Thornton." Mr Lidgely snaps at me. I curl into myself and squeeze my eyes shut, trying to focus on my breathing.

"Since this is your first offence, you are only suspended until Monday. Now leave the premises immediately." I gulp, nodding slowly. I fumble to pick up my bag and stand on unstable legs as I hurry out of the office. I walk silently along the empty corridor.
There's no point in waiting around, it'll just cause more trouble.
I sigh as I push the door.

***

I'm sat on the sofa, curled under a blanket, reading in peace when the door bursts open. I scream in shock and throw myself over the back of the sofa. I try to run into the kitchen but my foot becomes wrapped in the blanket, tripping me. I tug desperately but end up becoming completely covered by the blanket instead. I sense someone coming towards me and freeze. Arms scoop me up and I'm too frightened to even struggle.

"If you wanted to ditch, you could've just told us Sweetheart." Mason chuckles, dropping me onto the sofa. I fight my way out of the blanket, somehow falling off in the process.
I huff, blowing my hair out of my face.
"Yeah, why'd you run out on us Shortcake?" Miles grins down at me.
"I didn't," I say shortly, my mood instantly dropping. I try to walk away from them, but Mason grabs my arm.
"Woah, woah, woah. What do you mean Cupcake?" The boys look at me concerned. I sigh in exasperation.
"Nothing," I answer. I shrug out of Mason's hold, ignoring their stares as I wander into the kitchen.

"Food?" I offer, changing the subject quickly.
"Me please!" Sam shouts back.
"Me too." Miles adds after a moment.
I wait a few seconds for Mason's reply.
"Mason? Food?"
An arm wraps round my waist, making me jump.
"What're you making?" Mason asks, leaning down so his chin rests on my shoulder.
"I haven't decided yet." I shrug. Suddenly, I'm spun around, Mason's arms trapping me on either side against the counter.
"What's wrong Princess? And don't say nothing, because I can read you like a book." I pause, contemplating. My body sags in surrender, my head hanging.
"I got suspended. That's all." I murmur. I gently push him away, and he lets me. Then out of nowhere, Mason's booming laughter fills the room.
"Oh, Sweetheart, you aren't suspended. Don't worry, we'll have this fixed easily." He assures me between laughs.
But I don't want special treatment.

I nod in reply, turning back around and start pulling out ingredients.
"What did you get suspended for anyways? Being too quiet?" Mason jokes. I carry on cooking, pretending not to have heard him.
"Come on Angel, it can't be that bad."
I sigh and spin to face him once again, hand on my hip. "You're just gunna get angry."
"Even more reason to tell me," he shrugs.
I realise that he won't give up any time soon.
"They think I hit Ashley. And Mr Lidgley wouldn't let me explain. You know how bad my stutter can be." I try to act nonchalant, hoping to keep him calm.
"Should've known it'd be that dickhead," he says, much calmer than I expected, "but never blame your stutter for people acting like bastards." I give him a smile.
"Now go away, I need to cook." I nudge him with my hip, feeling genuinely happy.