Chapter 24 - Knocking

We walk into the house, tired and quiet. I haven't talked much since my nightmare last night. The boys had decided it'd be best if we just came straight home, rather than being paranoid the rest of the trip. I headed straight to my room to unpack, I've managed to avoid questions so far by pretending to sleep, and I plan to continue avoiding them. At least until mum's back.

A soft knock sounded as I finish unpacking. I sigh. "Yeah?"

"Hey, are you okay?" Sam asks cautiously, softly, like he's trying not to scare me away. I nod in reply. "Sure?" I open my mouth to answer when a shout interrupts.

"Sam! We've gotta go! Now!" Miles shouts up, sounding extremely pissed off. Sam immediately straightens up and his face goes blank.

"We'll be back soon." He nods at me, turns on his heel and leaves.

A few moments later I hear the door slam. I wrap my arms around myself and head downstairs, checking the door's locked before wandering into the living room. I sit on the sofa, curl up in a blanket and start to search for something to watch.

***

BANG

BANG

BANG

I shoot up, head spinning as adrenaline pumps through my body, eyes unfocused from sleep.

BANG

BANG

BANG

I snatch up my phone, terrified. The screen refuses to light up. Dead.

BANG

BANG

BANG

My body trembles violently and I feel my eyes sting with tears, my heart accelerates.. My gaze flits over to the hall clock; 8pm, I'd been asleep for roughly 4 hours. I tread quietly as I approach the front door. It's shaking with the power of the knocking.
"Princess, you have three seconds to open this door, or so help me god..."
My eyes widen. Mason. I run forward and rip open the locks, the anger in his voice making my hands unsteady. I pull the door open and there stood the three boys.

Mason was the worse. His eyes wild, his entire bod wound tight, fury rolling off of him in waves so strong I want to bow my head in submission. Miles was a close second. His hands were in his hair, tugging at the roots, making it stand in all directions, his eyes look red and slightly puffy. Sam was the most subdued. He was biting his thumbnail, eyes flitting everywhere. The moment the door opens their eyes snap to me, all four of us frozen for a heartbeat.

I'm lifted off my feet and crushed to a chest, Miles' familiar scent filling my senses.
"Don't you dare ever do that to us again," he mutters into my hair before letting me down. I tilt my head in confusion.
"Why didn't you answer your phone?" Mason asks in the quietest mutter I think he's capable of. I study him quietly. His body language has changed completely. His shoulders are sagged, his head low, his eyes sad and pleading as they look into mine.
"It died while I was asleep," I reply, barely above a whisper. I hear Sam take a deep breath of relief, his energy immediately picking up again. He puts his arm round my shoulders as we all walk back into the living room, squeezing me tightly. He lets me free and makes a beeline for the kitchen as Miles flops down onto the sofa, all effort leaving his body. I turn to look at Mason and find he's already watching me, studying my every move.
"You should put your phone on charge."
I nod and silently walk past him, unable to look at him any longer.

Sam jumps onto the sofa next to Miles, eating jellybeans that I didn't even know I had. Mason grabs my hand and pulls me over to the sofa, tugging me down onto his lap.
"We thought something had happened to you. You had us so scared Sweetheart," he mutters, tightening his hold on me. I sigh quietly, shifting to watch the TV. I'm too emotionally drained, I can't handle anything more. John Oliver comes onto the screen as Mason starts to play with my hair, wrapping strands around his fingers, mailing me drowsy. I give in and lean against his chest, my head on his shoulder.
"Tired again already Cupcake?" He teased, his smirk audible. I hide my face in his neck, my blush spreading quickly. I feel him shake with laughter.

BANG

BANG

BANG

All three boys stiffen, Mason's hold on me tightening uncomfortably. Sam gets up to answer the door, Miles following swiftly. I soon hear low muttering.
"What's wrong? Who's here?" I ask Mason, struggling to turn and look at him. He shakes his head.
"Nothing Princess."
"It's my house Mason."
"I know Sweetheart. And I'm sorry. We'll tell you some other time, but I don't think any of us can handle any more drama for today." He looks into my eyes, his expression soft and caring. Despite my anxious curiosity, I nod my head. Mason hugs me close and kisses my forehead.
"Thank you Cupcake." He grins and I return a weak smile.

Miles and Sam walk back into the room. Miles glares at Sam's blushing face
"The idiot forgot he ordered pizza."