Chapter 4 - Unexpected

PE, my favourite subject...not.

I'm about as uncoordinated as a three legged daddy long legs. But it is one of the only lessons I don't have with the three musketeers since boys and girls are seperated. Today's sport, track running.

Wooooooo, nothing better than tripping over air and choking on your own breathlessness in front of all the girls in your new class.

We head out onto the field and coach Raw gets us warming up. Everyone stands in little groups, talking to their friends, while I stand alone. The whistle blows and we start the first lap at a slow jog, steadily gathering speed.

I keep my eyes on my feet to make sure I don't trip, looking up every so often to stop myself from going into someone. I glance up and all of a sudden, I'm face first in the dirt. I sit up and see the Barbie dolls laughing as they jog away. I sigh and walk over to Mrs Raw.
"Come on girls, pick it up!" She yells, she has one of those voices that always seems a bit louder than intended, so when she wants to talk normally, it's still possible to hear her from a few feet away. "Who are you?" She turns and asks me, obviously thinking I was wasting her time.
"Umm...I...I'm new here. Bu...but I fell over, can I go cl...clean myself up p...please?" I ask as politely as possible, stuttering more because I'm trying to be heard over the wind that has picked up during the day. She nods and turns her attention back to the people still running.

I walk into the locker room and go into the toilets, looking at myself in the mirror. I look like a swamp monster. I wet some tissue and start getting the dirt off my face and hands, thanking god that I'd decided to tie my hair back for this class. After five minutes, all the dirt on my skin, is gone as far as I can tell. Since there's only ten minutes left, I start getting changed, humming The Internet Is Here to myself. The doors open just as I zip up my bag, which is now filled with my mud covered clothes. I see the Wicked Witches of the West come in and I immediately head out of the other door.

***

I'm stood at my locker, making sure I have everything I need for any homework tonight, but I feel an arm wrap around my shoulders and immediately stiffen. I turn around in shock.

They can't have found me.

I breathe out in relief when I see it's only Mason, "Hey Cupcake, you okay?" He questions, noticing the panic in my eyes.

He can't know, I can't let him.

I nod, "Y...yeah, you sc..scared me is all," I reply, biting my lip.

I wish I didn't do that, it's such an obvious tell, but he doesn't seem to notice.

"Don't worry Princess, it's only me," he laughs.

"What're you laughing at?" Sam and Miles suddenly appear behind me.

I swear, you'd think they'd make more noise when they walked considering they're so tall. And muscular. Whatever.

I just shake my head, closing my locker, feeling my cheeks go slightly red.

"Aww, are you blushing Shortcake?" Miles teases me. I roll my eyes knowing that my cheeks will go redder with his remark.
"Anyways, do you what a ride home with us?" Sam suddenly interjects, saving me.
"Umm...if it's okay with you guys I sup..p...pose," I say.

I don't want to be a burden, they're already the only people that have spoken to me, well spoken to me nicely.

They all nod at me grinning. "Thanks," I smile at them.