Chapter 10 - The News

I freeze in shock, my head whirling as too many thoughts try to process in my mind, making me feel dizzy. I stumble back, shaking as my vision blurs. Nothing but the sound of my racing heart reaches my ears and my breathing becomes frantic. I feel a weight become increasingly heavier on my chest, any sound gets caught in my throat and it feels like ice is running through my veins. My vision is full of spots and nothing is clear to me any more. My knees buckle and I fall to the ground, my body shaking as tears fall down my cheeks in my panicked state. The shouts from the boys sound muffled to me, and I see nothing but blurred shapes rush towards me.

I feel someone's hands grab the sides of my face and move my head so I'm looking at them. My eyes find theirs and I'm immediately enchanted. Their eyes are a deep ocean blue on the rim, that fade to an ice blue around the pupil, with every shade between being hidden somewhere within the iris. Streaks of white accentuates the brightness of the blue and appears like electricity, memorizing me.

I feel my breathing equalise, my heart slow, my shaking subside and the weight on my chest lessen as I calm

I feel my breathing equalise, my heart slow, my shaking subside and the weight on my chest lessen as I calm. My blood seems to warm and I take a deep breath, reveling in the feeling. As hard as I try, I can't tear my gaze from the worried blue eye that had saved me.

Someone wipes the tears from my face and I snap back to reality. I jump to my feet and look around hurriedly, trying to gather where I am.
"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down there." Mason says as he gently pushes me back to sitting on the floor. He looks over me concerned and I realise it's his eyes that'd calmed me from my fear before. I look away from him in embarrassment, as Sam comes out of the kitchen, holding a glass of water and some chocolate. Just before the door swings shut, I spot Miles talking on the phone, seemingly aggravated.

"Here, something to get your blood sugars up. It'll help you stop shaking." Sam says as he gives me a hug and hands me the chocolate. I eat a square before washing it down with the water and Miles comes in, hanging up his phone. He glances over at where we're sat, sees I'm looking better (or at least I assume so as I felt better) and rushes over to hug me.

"Oh god Shortcake, you scared us!" He exclaims, as he wraps me in his arms. I know it's meant as a nice gesture but with the movement making me stand so suddenly, my vision blurs slightly, my stomach starts to churn and my face pales.
"Miles!" Mason warns, "Put her down. You're going to make her sick!" He almost growls. Miles looks down at me and drops his arms from around me in shock. I feel myself start to fall but am caught by Mason and cautiously placed back sitting on the ground. My eyelids become heavy and though I try to fight it, I can sense the lull of sleep pulling me in, until I stop fighting and allow myself to fall.

***

I wake up again, and this time I'm on the sofa and sit up, holding my head as it spins at the action so soon after waking. I groan in pain when someone's phone starts to ring, realising it's my phone, I reach out and answer it.