Chapter Nine

Carter's POV

In a weird turn of events, I was a little bit drunk and James was driving me home.

I shouldn't have drank so much on our first date, and I sure wasn't plastered the way James usually was, but I hated feeling so out of control of my own body. I started to say things that I'd rather keep hidden in the back of my head.

"You have strong muscles."

Yup, exactly like that. But my head was leaning on his shoulder and it was seriously rock solid. And I'd seen James shirtless before. For a guy who chugged beer like it was the fountain of youth, he didn't have any fat anywhere.

"Thanks," James grinned, obviously liking the ego boost. "I do push-ups."

"That was a fun date," I admitted. "I didn't want to like you, but I can't help it."

"Why don't you want to like me?" James asked, voice guarded. "Is it because of all the shitty stuff you heard from your friends?"

I snuggled into his arm and sniffed. He smelled really good. He must've worn cologne for the date, which was really sweet to me for some reason.

"Because you're an alcoholic," I blurted honestly. "And...and you're so flirty. I need someone consistent, okay James? If you're not here to be consistent, please just be nice to me and walk away." I lifted my head so I could get a better view of him. He was handsome, as usual, all strong jawbone and soft smiles. "I can't do casual, not anymore. Not after Ronan."

We pulled into my driveway and James rotated to look at me.

It was a weird moment, probably because of the alcohol and my pleading, when James actually felt older than me. I knew he was, but it never seemed that way because of his childish personality. But the way he smiled at me then, I knew he meant what he was saying.

"I know we've only just met, but trust me, this isn't casual," James said, with the most honest smile I think I'd ever seen on his face. "I can't say for sure if we can last forever, but if that's what you want, I'll sure as hell give it a try."

I held my hand up and pushed it gently to his chest. "Whoa. Whoa. Whoooooa. We can totally break up—that's cool too. I mean we aren't even dating, so we can't. Don't talk about forever!"

James blinked and squinted at me. "You only had four beers."

I blushed. "I'm not drunk. I can pronounce words."

"You're basically drunk. You're a lightweight. Holy shit, you're a huge lightweight." James grinned and ruffled my hair. "Drink lots of water before bed tonight, you rascal."

I groaned and dropped my head to his shoulder. "Shut the fuck up, you're the drunk here. I...I was nervous so I ordered a drink, then another, and then I realized that I haven't had more than one beer a night since I was twenty."

"You were nervous?" I looked up to find James smiling so bright it almost hurt my eyes. "I was too, you know. That's why I barely drank at all."

I liked him. I liked him a lot.

I let my fingers touch his soft brown hair, which was always unruly but somehow managed to look stylishly so. I leaned forward, and James met me halfway with a kiss.

Just like that first night, kissing James made helium fill in my chest. He was so different from anyone I'd ever been with. Most of my college flings had kissed me hot and desperately, up against a wall. James kissed me like we had all the time in the world, slowly letting his hands get caught up in my hair, guiding me towards him.