I couldn't help but compare him to a hawk. He was hovering past each student slowly, his unforgiving eyes assessing every minuscule detail. He took his time as he searched for any mistake, circling his prey until the opportune moment presented itself. Then it did—a mere slip of my foot—and he dove in for the kill.

"Your turnout is sloppy." His words were the talons that dug deep into my skin, his voice mercilessly sharp despite the mask he wore. "You're inconsistent and your shoulders are rolling forward." The rumble from his tone traveled from his body to mine, and I realized how close he was, looming down at me scrutinizingly.

I caught his eyes for a brief second, just long enough to notice the amusement he failed to keep at bay. He knew he was embarrassing me, and he was enjoying every moment of it.

I wanted to glare at him, argue with him, but he was right. What he pointed out was true, though that didn't make me any less upset. His aura, his heavy stare was the main cause of my error, and him pointing them out in front of everyone only made my anger grow. I was nothing less than humiliated, having been admonished over such easy techniques on the first day of class.

"I realize today is your first day and you may be nervous, but Hoseok is right. Fix it and let's move on," said the professor icily.

With the dull burn of embarrassment and anger invading my chest, I adjusted my form, turning my feet out further and elongating my spine, drawing my shoulders back as tightly as I could. My chin tilted up, head rising high despite the urge to curl in on myself. With a clenched jaw, control became my sole focus.

This is what it's going to be like now, Jangmi. You just have to suck it up and get used to it. I wouldn't have been quite as bitter about the scolding if it had been done by the professor, but the fact that a fellow student—an upperclassman or not—had done it, stung so much more.

The Hawk finally released me from his gaze, freeing me of the captivity I was held under as he shifted his sights to new prey.

The rest of the class period inched by slowly, and I was careful to prevent my eyes from ever meeting his again. I could sense that he was watching me, and part of me wanted nothing more than to march right up to him and give him a piece of my mind. But I'd experienced enough embarrassment for my first day, so I kept myself collected.

Eventually, the two hours were up. Everyone swiftly changed into their regular shoes and filed out of the classroom, the tense atmosphere dissipating. As I made my way out the door, someone's firm hand grasped my shoulder, stopping me in my tracks.

My stomach plummeted.

I turned to meet my captor, expecting to find a mask-covered face, but relief came like rushing water as Jungkook's eyes met mine.

"A few friends and I are hanging out tonight. I'll meet you at Gisaeng Hall at eight. Be there," he said firmly. Then he left before I could even open my mouth. I stared at the back of his head as he walked off.

"What was that about?" Jimin asked after coming up beside me.

My head shook. "I'm not sure. He invited me—well, more like ordered me to come to some hangout tonight."

"Ah, I was just going to tell you about that. I'll be there, you should come with."

"A party? On the first day of school? Me?" I gave him an incredulous look and he laughed.

"It's not what you're thinking. It's just me, Jungkook, and a few other friends of ours. We have this secret spot we'll take you to. Don't worry, we're not going to do anything crazy," he assured, but my eyes still narrowed.