No More

= Victoria's POV =

The ride fell silent after that, and that's when my phone started vibrating. I checked it, and it was Angie, the current ruler of my old House. I forgot to call her yesterday. Oops. I answered before it went to voicemail and wiped the tears off my face.

Hey Angie. Just in time.

I didn't try to hide the sadness in my voice because she was going to pick up on it anyway.

Oh hell no! Who made my best friend cry?

I got reminded of that.

She knew what "that" meant.

Oh... How?

My new boss did some digging into my past, and he said that nickname. All I can think about is Zach.

Tori, don't do it. Don't let yourself lose all the progress you made.

I'm not... It just hurts.

I will come to the Capital.

I'd like that, but I've already been sent on assignment, and I'll be gone for eight months. I'm on my way to the airport right now.

So soon?

Yeah. Special circumstances.

Where are you going?

I'm close to home. That's all I can say. If I ever get a day off, I'll visit, but I highly doubt I'll get that, so don't expect me.

Ok.

We arrived at the airport.

Ok. I'm at the airport. I gotta go. I'll call you later on tonight.

You better.

I will. Tell everyone I love and miss them, and I could really go for one of Granny's hot toddies right now.

I will. Love you.

Love you, too. Bye.

Bye.

I hung up, and that's when Daniel spoke.

Who was that?

Angie. She's the current Ruler of my old House and my best friend.

Sounds like you're close with everyone in your old House.

Yeah. I owe them everything.

Why?

You didn't dig that up?

Your records only start when you were 17. There's nothing before that.

I see. Well, when I was born, my biological parents threw me into a dumpster and left me to die. I grew up homeless. No money. No food. No safe place to sleep. No name. The only reason I knew my age is the fact that the streets were decorated every Christmas. My Beloved found me while he was out feeding, and I was sleeping behind a dumpster. He picked me up and brought me home with him. That's when life for me started. Granny, the mother of the House, gave me the name Victoria. I learned how to read and write, got my GED, went to college and got my Master's. I learned how to fight and became the best fighter and leader of the troops. I became a named warrior. None of that would have happened if they hadn't taken me in and given me a chance.