Confusion

=The Next Day=

I had spent the rest of the day moping around in my parents' room until it was time for me to go back to Kaitlyn. She sensed my bad mood and blamed it on my job, so I didn't have to come up with something for it. She actually made me laugh and brightened my mood a little which I appreciated. I went to bed early, and right now, we were on our way to her grandparents' house.

They lived in a very quiet part of the city, and Kaitlyn spoke up.

I haven't been here in years.

Why not?

Trae. He isolated me from my family.

Well, today you get to make things right.

Yeah.

We fell silent as we pulled up to the house and got out. She took a deep breath then went up the stairs and knocked. I followed right after her and made it just as an elderly woman answered the door. She gasped when she saw Kaitlyn and had tears in her eyes, and Kaitlyn spoke.

Hey Grandma.

Katie!

They hugged, and grief flared up in me. Man, I miss my grandparents, but I kept it contained with a small grin at them. She let us in, and Kaitlyn's came down the hall and hugged her as well. We then went to the living room and sat down. Kaitlyn explained everything since she had last visited except up until she met me. Her grandmother spoke up when she finished.

So you know then?

Yes, and I also know that you two aren't my real grandparents.

Her grandfather.

So you know that as well?

Yes, and I also know about Mom, and who I am.

Then what is your decision?

I understand that she hid me away to protect me, but I cannot ignore the duty I have to fulfill and hide while people suffer. I'm going to claim my proper place.

Her grandmother gave her a small smile.

That's just what your mother would have done.

What was she like?

She was loved and respected by most of her coven members. She led us fearlessly not because she was cocky. She was confident in all of our skills and believed in us and would risk her life for us if it came down to it. She was harsh when she needed to be, but it was understood and never misplaced. She always helped when someone was in need. You are actually her spitting image.

I am?

Yes. She was very beautiful...just like you.

She blushed and looked down.

Why was she killed?

Greed and jealousy. The current grand witch was her understudy, and everyone could see that day by day, she grew more and more jealous and power-hungry, but we failed to stop her. She had been secretly learning necromancy, and had grown too powerful for us. Your mother had no choice but to hide you away to protect you.

But she still found me, and has been trying to control and kill me all this time.

Grandfather.

What has she done?

Trae was hired by her to abuse and control me, but I managed to get away thanks to Mary. Then she hired witch blood smugglers to take me, but Mary got me out of that mess as well. I'm scared that she's going to try something else.