circles 2 (sr)

it had been a year. a year since i've seen his beautiful, calming, stupid face. i decided to move away, not too far of course, just some distance away where i knew he wouldn't try to follow me.

i had picked up on a new job a few months back, working behind a counter at a bakery. dream come true if we're being honest. the daily routine of communicating, selling, or sometimes baking the sweet goods we sold, clouded most of my time nowadays. then after a shift, i'd go to my apartment. simple as that, a life that i have re-built for myself without having him in the picture.

————————————

        today had been very unusual. work was slow, and the weather outside was gloomy. grey clouds rolling in the sky, but not a hint of rain. weird. sometimes i suggest that the weather follows my mood patterns. on gloomy days like this, i'd allow my mind to wander, and every once in a while, i'd slip back into thinking how i would be if i had never moved.

"daydreaming again, y/n?" a smooth, wiser voice questioned. startled, i leaned up off of the cash register, unsticking my palm from my cheek, more than likely leaving a red imprint. rosie, the owner of the bakery, and now a close friend of mine, pulled me out of my thoughts. i sighed, smiling a little, "i guess so. i'm sorry for that." rosie shook her head, "you always apologize for that, my dear. it's become a regular thing for you, hasn't it?" she asked, coming to rest on the barstool in front of the glass counter. i chewed on the inside of my cheek, "if i'm being honest, i don't know what's up lately.. letting my mind wander is now a reoccurring thing that i've dealt with recently." i answered, now really considering on looking into my new habit. rosie smiled and let out an airy laugh, "don't worry about it darlin', maybe a day or two off work would help?" she then got up off the stool, and flipped the sign from open, to close. i looked at her surprisingly. i could really use the couple of days off to relax and ease my mind. "are you sure? it's not like i said these things just to get some days of-" she raised her hand, signaling me to stop ranting. "y/n, you've really grown since you've been working here. i'm making this decision, and so therefore you deserve it. take the days off, sugar. i mean it." she whispered at the end, her crinkled eyes sparkling as she smiled. i quickly enveloped her in a hug, "thank you so much, rosie." i beamed. her shorter frame squeezed tighter around me, "you're welcome. now hurry along so i can finish closing up for the day." she laughed and grabbed the broom and dust pan. i gathered my things and made my way around back. "see ya, rosie. thank you again!" i called out, heading out the back door. rosie shook her head. "that girl reminds me of myself a long time ago." she smiled, sweeping the crumbs and dust off of the floor.

after i left work, i decided to head to the nearest hardware store. over the next few days, i decided that i finally wanted to re-paint the walls. it's a sudden decision, but i felt like doing some work around my apartment would help better understand my anxious mind.

i pulled into the parking lot and found a spot next to some shopping carts. "perfect." i mumbled to myself, hoping that the wind wouldn't blow them into the side of my car. i tugged on my jacket tighter and headed inside, quickly finding the paint aisle and started to pull some color swatches. while looking, i pulled a few different shades of purple, some of them being too vibrant, so i quickly put those back. "you know.. periwinkle goes well with softer greys." a voice stated from behind me. i laughed, assuming it was an employee, "yeah, i guess so. but my walls are more whi-" i fully turned around to see a face that i'd never thought to see again. "spencer?" i whispered softly, but i knew he heard it. "hi y/n." he greeted. "what the fuck are you doing here?" i asked, my voice raising slightly. "well um.. this is a pretty well known hardware store." he scratched his neck, breaking eye contact. i furrowed my eyebrows, "no need to be a dick." i fumed. his eyes widened, "i didn't mean it like that! i-i'm sorry. i know i'm the last person you probably wanted to see.. a-and i'm sorry we bumped into each other.." he rambled on. my mind went blank again. i was focused on the way his lips moved, or how his hands combed through his mess of curly hair. i thought back to our long nights of just appreciating one another's presence. "y/n?" he asked, interrupting my thoughts. i shook my head, "s-sorry.. look spencer, i appreciate the apology, but i do need to get going." i shoved the paint swatches in my purse, "it was nice to see you." i faked a smile. "WAIT!" he nearly yelled, grabbing my arm. i stopped walking and whipped my head back around, utterly confused. he let go of my arm and wrung his hands, "i mean.. wait. i wanted to know if we could talk. maybe catch up? it'll mean a lot to me." he inched a tiny bit closer, hinting the indecisiveness that radiated off of me. "please, y/n." he said softly. i looked back up to him, "what about you're wife? i'd expect her to be here with you somewhere, right?" i asked sternly. he lowered his head, "she filed for a divorce.." he muttered. half of me wanted to laugh and the other half wanted to comfort him, so i chose the best option, "man, that's a shocker." i said sarcastically, immediately regretting it afterwards. his eyes snapped back up to mine, "really, y/n? look, i know i've done some fucked up things, i admit that wholeheartedly, but a snarky comment like that isn't making this any easier then what it is.." he said, a hint of sadness lingered in his statement. i sighed and gave in, "fine. at least give me time to drop these things off at my apartment? we can talk tonight if you want." i reasoned. his face lit up slightly, "thank you, y/n. i-i'll send you my address-" "i know where you live, spencer. just.. how about 7, is that okay?" i shifted my weight from one foot to another, the basket i was holding seemingly growing heavier. he nodded quickly, "yeah, yeah. sorry. that's perfect." we stood there staring at each other for another good ten seconds before i broke the silence, "it was good talking to you again. i'll see you at 7, spencer." i said, but this time meaning it. he smiled, "i feel the same. see you tonight." i waved and walked off, heading towards the checkout. for some reason i felt a huge weight that i didn't know i had been carrying lift from my shoulders. we settled that out better than i had expected.

i walked back to my car, putting the paints in the backseat and hopping in the driver's seat. i sat there, inhaling a deep breath and letting the situation sink in. i'll see him tonight, i guess.